Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Gone Fishing USA

Gone Fishing USA

Postby CharlieB » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:01 pm

Does anyone have any experience with the Tenkara outfits offered on Amazon.com from this supplier? New to Tenkara and thought this would be an inexpensive way to get started.

Your help would be appreicated...CharlieB
CharlieB

Re: Gone Fishing USA

Postby 257ROBT » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:11 pm

Please don't take this comment the wrong way. Spend the money and get the TUSA Iwana starter set. While there may be cheaper options out there, it is just hard to beat the Iwana for a starter rod. I started with the 12' Iwana, bought a few others, and still almost always use the 12' Iwana. The Iwana also holds a good resale value if you try tenkara and don't like it, although I doubt it. Tenkara is just plain fishing fun. If you read the rod reviews, you'll find many positive comments about the Iwana.

Dale
257ROBT

Postby williamhj » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:45 pm

I'll speak as one who was in your shoes this past Fall. I saw some on amazon and also some telescoping blanks on ebay and was tempted. I'm always glad to save some money and I love building fly rods (only fish rods I've built/finished), so considered getting them both. However, I got an Iwana, because I want my experience with Tenkara to be with a rod and line that have been designed well. If I got one of the other two, it might have been a dud and I wouldn't know if it was the rod or just how Tenkara was. If you want to try Tenkara don't gamble the experience on an unknown rod, especially when you can get a full set-up for $200 or less.
williamhj

Postby dwalker » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:15 pm

CharlieB,

I've never heard of GFUSA. I just looked them up on Amazon. I only found two individual reviews of their products. One a tenkara rod was 5 stars and the other a telescope rod/reel combo that got 1 star. Not much in the way of customer base feedback on their products.

I see their phone number has 901 area code, which is Tennessee. But who knows if that is where they are located ? At a previous job I had I could call Connecticut and end up getting connected to Andover, Atlanta or Seattle. Phone systems do odd things now days. I personally have a distrust of any on-line business that doesn't provide a physical address. I always like the option, or fantasy, of being able to drive over an punch 'em in the nose if I think they tried to rip me off. :shock:

Their time window to very narrow, only 7 days, to try their product and return it for full price. Vs TenkaraUSA policy which offers 60 days to try their rods, or other items, and still get a full refund if you don't like the product or if you just decide tenkara fishing is just not for you. So cheap/risky vs More$/60 day tryout.

This forum is specific for TUSA products. I am aware of at least one other tenkara forum and one other forum with an active tenkara section. Perhaps there are others. You might find richer GFUSA information mining there. Also lots of tenkara blogs around now days too. Maybe one of them has feedback about the GFUSA rods. I'd search those places if I were you. If I were me, and I am. :roll: I'd go with one of the TUSA rods. :)

Sorry I have no first hand experience with the product you asked about. OTOH , you can find lots of information here about the products offered by TUSA. Only you can decide between cheap/adventurous rod vs more$/more security rod. You know - Bilbo's Baggins heritage called him to stay in his comfortable Hobbit hole. Yet Bilbo's Took heritage called him to have an adventure, ever now and again. Do let us know if you're more Baggins or more Took by letting us know which rod you decide on. ;) You have to be a bit Tookish just to give tenkara a try, don't you think? Maybe your Took side would be satiated with any tenkara rod and yet your Baggins side would be most pleased with the TUSA rod. { my assumption is that you do not yet have any kind of tenkara rod }

fwiw,

;)

D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby williamhj » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:16 am

dwalker wrote:Only you can decide between cheap/adventurous rod vs more$/more security rod. You know - Bilbo's Baggins heritage called him to stay in his comfortable Hobbit hole. Yet Bilbo's Took heritage called him to have an adventure, ever now and again. Do let us know if you're more Baggins or more Took by letting us know which rod you decide on. ;) You have to be a bit Tookish just to give tenkara a try, don't you think? Maybe your Took side would be satiated with any tenkara rod and yet your Baggins side would be most pleased with the TUSA rod. { my assumption is that you do not yet have any kind of tenkara rod }

Love the analogy! I'd picture hobbits more bobber and worm type fishers. Elves on the other hand, I could see them with Tenkara.
williamhj

Postby Jason Klass » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:59 pm

Those rods look like junk and are made by a company that doesn't know tenkara. I know someone who got one as a gift and he said it was a piece of garbage. I'd stay away.
My blog: Tenkara Talk

Tenkara USA Rods: Amago, Ayu, Ayu Series II, Ebisu, Ito, Iwana 11', Iwana 12', Rhodo, Sato, Yamame.
Jason Klass

Return to General technique