Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

New to the sport

New to the sport

Postby Stroover » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:22 pm

Hi,
I recently aquired what I beleive is a tenkara rod, but it has no fly line nor leader. I am wondering if I can use regular fly line and leader with it, or does it require its own special lines?
Stroover

Re: New to the sport

Postby dwalker » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:13 pm

Stroover wrote:Hi,... I am wondering if I can use regular fly line and leader with it, or does it require its own special lines?

Hello Stroover, Welcome to the forum.
Probably better to ask this question in the Lines section of the forum. But...

I always say you can use whatever line you want. But clearly some lines cast better than others. I'm not much of a line experimenter and during the past summer I only used fluorocarbon level line. Other folks prefer furled lines, and many people do experiment with backing lines and other types of lines.

While I am not much of a line experimenter I did play around a little this past summer with 10#, .012" Suffix hi-vis monofilament line. It cast ok and was usable but being a bit limper than tenkara level line I didn't think it cast as well as the fluorocarbon line. The Suffix line was just some line I had on hand because my son purchased it for his reel and I thought why not try it. If for some reason all my tenkara level line disappeared I would use the Suffix line rather than stay home.

Why not start with lines designed specifically for tenkara? They aren't very expensive. $20 - $25 + shipping for a spool of level line or for a length of traditional furled line.

With level line generally I think most people prefer a line that has a bit of stiffness to it because they find it cast better. However, other people have been happy with line that is quite limp. Some people like mono line. But I think most prefer the fluorocarbon line because it is denser or weights more for the same diameter. And you want a line that after being stretched a little it will lose most of the coiled memory from being on the spool. Otherwise it looks like you're trying to cast a long slinky. :o

Anyway, read through the lines section of the forum. If you go back to pages 2 or 3 you will find threads where people experimented with different kinds of lines.

http://www.tenkarausa.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4&start=25

You might also find this information from Jason on Tenkaratalk helpful in understanding level line.

http://www.tenkaratalk.com/2012/02/understanding-tenkara-level-lines/

Most of the time I use the Tenkarabum hi-vis level line. Because, hey - I'll be 61 in in six days and I can see it better. Younger eyes may not need the hi-vis line so much. However, depending upon the light I can see the Tenkarausa green level line just as well on some days. The two different lines have a little different feel to them.

Good luck,

D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby Jason Klass » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:59 pm

Stroover wrote:Hi,
I recently aquired what I beleive is a tenkara rod, but it has no fly line nor leader. I am wondering if I can use regular fly line and leader with it, or does it require its own special lines?

I'm curious when you say you "believe" it is a tenkara rod. Does it have a brand name or model listed on it?

If it really is a tenkara rod, then I'd follow Dwalker's advice. An actual tenkara line (whether furled or level) will perform better). Tenkara rods aren't designed to cast regular fly lines.
My blog: Tenkara Talk

Tenkara USA Rods: Amago, Ayu, Ayu Series II, Ebisu, Ito, Iwana 11', Iwana 12', Rhodo, Sato, Yamame.
Jason Klass

Postby adventureR » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:14 pm

I'd like to see this rod Stroover maybe we can help w/ the ID.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Return to General technique