Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Casting Videos - Post Yours Here

Re: Casting Videos - Post Yours Here

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:22 pm

Gig50 wrote:In your above video the first thing I noticed was how much wrist you used as do so many others casting with a Tenkara rod that I have seen on videos. I was wondering do you have a video that you can share of how you cast now, demonstrating your wrist locked, more traditional, western style casting? Just curious to see the improvement :)

I don't actually lock my wrist but just use it a tad less, sometimes <grin>

The last video I posted where I had mt aH-Ha moment is the one I use much less wrist.

http://youtu.be/ml9TUyj8rFw

I only have a quick snap of it around noon position.

I see when I am in the passion of actually fishing and not practicing casting, I am just out their doing what it takes to get fly from point A to B.

Everyone has their own mechanics and I found for me if I use a little less wrist at the noon position trying not to let the rod go passed it too much, my casting improved. But, I don't always stick with that while fishing and somethings resort to other methods depending on the situation at hand.

It really does help if you have a quick snap of the wrist to get that line heading forward with more speed I have found. I don't think I have seen a tenkara cast with a completely locked wrist.

So 10 to 12, at 12 I start a quick snap of my wrist after I feel the rod load and start my arm forward, then stop at 10 and if all goes well, the gets to point B well enough for me to catch fish. :P

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby speybro » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:39 pm

As a friendly critique of your casting stroke TJ, I think a more positive stop at 10 and 12 would enhance line delivery. I also noted on one of the main TenkaraUSA videos of a Japanese master caster, that immediately following the forward rod stop, there was a very subtle drift backwards of the rod---I suspect to help the fly hit the water before any line, and in so doing, lifting a bit of the terminal line off the water before the fly touches down. I believe I heard Dan once say, it is rod speed, not power, we pursue.
speybro

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:07 pm

speybro wrote:As a friendly critique of your casting stroke TJ, I think a more positive stop at 10 and 12 would enhance line delivery. I also noted on one of the main TenkaraUSA videos of a Japanese master caster, that immediately following the forward rod stop, there was a very subtle drift backwards of the rod---I suspect to help the fly hit the water before any line, and in so doing, lifting a bit of the terminal line off the water before the fly touches down. I believe I heard Dan once say, it is rod speed, not power, we pursue.

Hi speybro, welcome and thank you for your 1st post.

All things above you mention I agree with and have been trying to do those every time I cast since I made those videos. :D

Of course I also welcome other folks post their videos so we can all benefit from critiques to improve our tenkara.

Please post yours Speybro to so others can benefit seeing good side view casts.

Maybe in about 20 years I will be 1/8 as good at casting as Tenkara no Oni. :twisted:

Of course I am happy to say I have performed well enough to fool a few trout and that makes me happy.

Maybe one of these days I can convince Daniel and John to post side veiw casting videos as I am sure both are much better than I.

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Previous

Return to General technique