Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Casting Videos - Post Yours Here

Casting Videos - Post Yours Here

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:32 pm

On Tenkara no Oni's website he has side view casting videos of him and his students, and I rather liked this idea. Great to see a side view of Tenkara no Oni's casts as he is so graceful with them and one day I hope to be 1/4 as elegant as he. His students cast so nicely also.

I think it is a good thing to video yourself from a side view and to look at it later in hopes to pick up areas you would like to improve upon.

Nice to also see what your casts were like years ago and then compare them to new versions to see if indeed you are improving.

Would also be nice to have masters and seasoned tenkara folks to view them and make any suggestions.

I am of the mind that you can always improve on things and learn new casting strokes, techniques, etc...

So here are mine as of late 2012. One is a side view from my casting arm side and the other is a more full side view making casts so you can see the line, etc...

Was fun to make and now I have something to view again in 2013 and practice practice practice. One thing I need to practice is shortening my casting stroke. I have found a 10 to 11:30 or maybe 11:45 <grin> makes the nicest casts. Right now I am going to noon or past a bit too often and much so need to ingrain the quicker shorter stroke into my casts.

See my two YouTube links below.

TJ

Tenkara Casting from Casting Arm Side View
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeeCrY1sXKw

Tenkara Casting Full Side View
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOCEmQYxPlk
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Re: Casting Videos - Post Yours Here

Postby craigthor » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:16 pm

And you didn't even get the fly snagged in the tree that has to be worth some extra points. LOL
craigthor

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Craigthor, on the 1 to 5 Kebari Scale, I get a 5 kebari for that. Hehehe

On the casting scale, I give myself a 3 kebari as I have more practice to go.

Got to shorten my stroke a bit but still, I am happy with my progress and it gets the job done for now catching fish.

This is also the first time really casting that long of line for me so I have some memory time to figure of what a good feeling casting 20' of line should be. Normally I only do about 15' line so 20' for sure adds a whole new feel to casting.

Thanks for viewing my vids. I hope to see yours and others one day.

TJ

TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby OutdoorsBen » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:22 pm

Another great idea. I find myself having to do some nonconventional casting with overhead tree's and to dry a fly. I'll see if I can unpack the gear and put up a video or two.
My Blogs
Hiking, Canoeing, and Fishing in New England http://www.outdoorsben.com
OutdoorsBen

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:55 pm

Went through my 2012 Tenkara Summit and saw I made a video of Dr. Ishigaki casting. Nice side view angle. Not the greatest video quality wise as I had the sun staring right at me so had a bad glare but good enough to show off Dr. Ishigaki's casting and nice to see side view angle.

Not sure the length of his line here but the dynamics of his cast is what will help us all here.

I think I am going to back-track a bit and work on casting 15' of line as I need to get fly to land first. I see under 18' + line I have line hitting first right before the fly. I need to get the fly hit the destination first with more command.

It was a nice exercise for me to cast the longer line but for me reality wise, I need to get my casting better at 12' and 15' before going up to 18'. Nice to know I can basically get the fly out there using 18' of line if needed but my goal is to become a much improved caster so I will work on my shorter line until I feel 100% with it.

Here is Dr Ishigaki's video I took of him casting.

TJ

http://youtu.be/SZSpP97U5-w

TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:32 pm

Just thought I would post another video. Was hoping others would do the same but understand they may not want to or no time to do so.

For me it is helpful looking at a video of myself casting so I can work on aspects of my cast not doing well.

Here is a quick video casting an Iwana 12' rod with 13' Level Line + 3' of tippet.

Should get the job done while fishing.

TJ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y-snmTWOjo

TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby adventureR » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:06 pm

Got out Friday for a little fishing. Took a casting video, but I'll have to keep trying the line was to hard to see. I'll get a good video soon though. It's nice to see how the line moves while others cast. The western and Tenkara line movement is interesting to see. Not getting to fish with other Tenkara fishers hardly ever makes the videos nice to watch. Thanks Tj
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby dwalker » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:04 pm

Not a video of me casting. Just a found casting video that demonstrates there's no place to small to practice.
;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYRYTwIq1HA

D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:43 pm

After watching my past videos and working on casting, plus seeing Daniel casting at recent Fly Fishing Shows, I have improved my casting a bit.

I had an aH-Ha moment a little while back after watching my videos and saw I was using way too much wrist action on my casts, thus making the casts slower to get to point B.

I have now mostly locked my wrist at the noon postion (only a slight break now versus using my whole wrist like before) and only do a slight wrist snap when I have went back down to the 10 position.

My casts are much faster now to point B and not so slow as before.

I feel this is a great improvement over what I was doing before.

http://youtu.be/ml9TUyj8rFw

TJ

TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby Gig50 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:33 pm

In your above video the first thing I noticed was how much wrist you used as do so many others casting with a Tenkara rod that I have seen on videos. I was wondering do you have a video that you can share of how you cast now, demonstrating your wrist locked, more traditional, western style casting? Just curious to see the improvement :)
Gig50

Next

Return to General technique