Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Late autumn/winter tenkara fishing, possible?

Late autumn/winter tenkara fishing, possible?

Postby finnmich » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:51 am

Hi,

I live in Norway, on the west coast, and have been doing tenkara fishing for about a year or so.
In Norway the typical fly fishing season ends in september or mid-october. It's now mid-november and even though the snow won't come for another month or so, it's not excactly fly-fishing weather: rain/hail and a few degress celsius above freezing.

But I won't give up! :)
Yesterday I went out to a small stream close to the city of Bergen (where I live). I did spot quite a few nice trouts, but they did not seem to be feeding on insects (as there are none at this time of year :) ) and were extremely easily spooked.

Do any of guys have some tips for cathcing fish this late in autumn/early winter?

Jason Klass posted this great piece on not scaring fish (http://www.tenkaratalk.com/2012/11/tips ... king-fish/), and i'll try out some his tips.
But even if I manage not to scare the fish, is it possible to get them to bite a fly at this time of year? Do anybody have some tips; special kind of flies, techniques? The stream in question is really small, maybe a meter or two across and 20-30cm deep, but I observed some nice trouts. The largest maybe half a kilo or so.
finnmich

Re: Late autumn/winter tenkara fishing, possible?

Postby statikpunk » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:43 pm

chronomid fishing can be quit good in the fall (and is pretty successfull year round actually), and on the plus side many sekasa kebari look very much like a chronomid, (just showing the versatility of a sekasa kebari) with only the addition of hackle. just get your fly real low in the water column and I think you will do fine. cheers :D
RODS: Ito&
Iwana I/II 12ft & 9ft
Amago
statikpunk

Postby finnmich » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:37 am

Thanks for the tip! I have some sekasa kebari that might resemble a chironomid, I'll try them this weekend. :D
finnmich

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:00 pm

I agree. The hardest thing for me about winter fishing is getting the fly down to where the fish are. The plunging tactic works great if you have a boulder in the water close, but this is one case where using weight or a weighted fly can be tough to beat, especially on bigger rivers. I try to hold out and fish unweighted as long as I can because that's what I enjoy, but weight or a weighted fly can produce better in the winter.

One big exception is midge hatches. Here in Monatana, an unweighted sakasa fly in or just under the film works pretty well as a midge. A lot of time these periods make for my best fishing in the winter, and when they're over with I'll call it a day rather than start dredging. I was pretty much the same way with western gear; to each their own.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby smitty » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:24 pm

John,
What size sakasa kebari are you using to mimic stream midges?
Steve
smitty

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:32 am

To be honest, I can usually get away with #16s here, but if I have to I'll drop down to #18s. Keep in mind the fishing here in Montana isn't usually very technical in that regard. If I go do a winter day on the Paradise Valley spring creeks I might fish smaller.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Return to General technique