Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Summer Time Tenkara

Summer Time Tenkara

Postby nancy11 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:35 pm

When I think of fly fishing for trout during the summer, I immediately think of hoppers and ants. I believe one of the greatest thrills for a fly fisher is watching a big brown suck down a hopper. While you can still enjoy fishing these same patterns with a tenkara rod, for the angler wanting to fish in a more traditional way there is still hope. One very good trick that I use when tying kebari for the summer season is to use dry fly hook and add a few extra wraps of my feather. This will allow the kebari to ride on top or partially submerged. A favorite way to fish this fluffy kebari as my daughter calls it is to simply quarter cast upstream and raise the rod high. This allows the kebari to ride if not on the surface partially submerged.
During the hottest part of the summer I typically find a lot of trout hanging out in the cooler more oxygenated moving water, instead of the deeper pools. The exception tends to be where back eddies will create foam or sucm lines full of dead or dying bugs.
I realize many would simply use a dry instead of going the traditional route and that is surely each anglers preference. I choose to fish the kebari not only for the tradtions but also I find it a double duty fly. If the fish are hitting on top I let it ride high. Howeverif the surface action slows I can allow the current to carry my kebari down to the waiting jaws of a momma trout. This way I find myself spending more quality time with the trout and not retying fly after fly.

thank you
Regards
uschemistoncall. :) :)
nancy11

Re: Summer Time Tenkara

Postby narcodog » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:19 pm

How you fish the kebari is very similar to how a flymph is fished. You can also dress just the top of your kebari so some of it will float and the rest will ride below the surface or in the film.
narcodog

Postby tsegelke » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:19 pm

I have not committed to one fly yet, but am moving towards fishing the Kebari More. My fly choice is:
Spring = Kebari 16 to 14 Pheasant tail body, Gold wire ribbing, peacock thorax and grizzly hackle. Fished just below the surface or on top.
Summer = Parachute Adams or E/C Caddis 16 to 14
Fall = Parachute Adams or grey Kebari 16 to 20
tsegelke

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:05 pm

I have to say, I still see most of the takes with an unweighted but subsurface kebari, especially once I got used to fishing this way. Daniel told me he usually saw the fish eat when I fished with him at the first summit, but it took me a while to get used to watching the water like that. Once I began to see more and more fish eat, It softened the blow of giving up my beloved dry flies. Plus, when you fish pulsed fly the fish do some really crazy stuff.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Return to General technique