Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

What is Esatenkara - Bait Tenkara

Re: What is Esatenkara - Bait Tenkara

Postby dwalker » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:11 pm

Jason Klass wrote:I'm so not interested in bait fishing. .... I'd rather strive to be a magician. :)

Jason,

I also have little interest in bait fishing, and no interest in bait fishing with a tenkara rod. :| For me tenkara fishing is fly fishing. :) I am not advocating that anyone bait fish with a tenkara rod.

After thinking about Esatenkara for a while I've pretty much decided to think about my discovery of it this way. It maybe like a person who can't read English, but he discovers the words; basketball and football. A non-English reader may think the two are somehow related and the two are some form of the same thing. Yet we know that - Each is a much different sport and each is played with a ball that is shaped much differently. The only thing common is that each is played with an inflated ball and the word for both sports has the suffix 'ball' in the name.

I only wished to point out 3 things:

1) there is a type of fishing in Japan referred to as Esatenkara. It has been around for awhile. 10 years ago a video was made , titled Esatenkara, that instructed people how to fish using that method. And currently there is a video available, from the same author, that provides instruction for "Zero fishing" ( whatever that is) and this video also includes information about Esatenkara fishing. As far as I can tell none of the people we think of as 'Tenkara masters' seem to teach this method of fishing. It appears the author is either promoting this fishing technique or responding to a perceived interest by making a video giving instruction in the method. Note also that the diagram of the esatenkara rig isn't labeled as using a tenkara rod. It's just labeled as a fly rod. But it is a fly rod that is a common length of a main stream tenkara rod. Though I suppose a main stream tenkara rod is not ruled out.

2) I found a 2nd diagram of a fishing rig, not labeled as an Esatenkara rig, that looks like the same as the standard Tenkara rig we have all learned about. Telescopic rod, with a line about the same length as the rod, plus a single kebari. The usual Tenkara rig - except the diagram shows a 7 meter rod, which is labeled as a 'main stream fly rod'. Otherwise it is the standard tenkara setup.

Thus 2 methods of fishing labeled as a form of tenkara fising. Yet not labeled as using tenkara rods.

3) a third diagram was found that looks just like the standard Tenkara rig, a 4.5 meter tenkara rod connected to a line that is 4 - 4.4m in length with a kebari on the end. The only difference from the standard Tenkara rig is that 24 inches above the kebari is a 'weight indicator'. I've pretty much decided a 'weight indicator' is just Japanese for a ball float or bobber. I don't really see the usefulness of that setup myself. However, perhaps that is the setup Dr Ishigaki was using in the video that was posted on this forum last winter that showed a large group of people fishing a large pool of water during what appeared to be opening of the fishing season. Several comments were made wondering just what was on his line. Was it simply some kind of strike indicator, or a torpedo float, which is a form of strike indicator.

All 3 of these methods of fishing appear to use some form of main stream ( aka large stream) rods. At least none of the information I found about it pointed toward using the shorter mountain stream or head stream tenkara rods.

I'm not advocating any of these methods of fishing. My only intent was to point out I discovered Japanese web pages where these methods were written about. Methods that are perhaps out of the main stream of tenkara but never the less these methods of fishing exist in Japan and are followed enough that I found them written about on several different web pages, and at least one author in Japan is either promoting it or felt there was enough interest in the methods that people would purchase his video giving instruction in that method of fishing.

Kebari on, cast. If nothing hooked, cast the kebari again. And let the magic begin. :)
D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Previous

Return to General technique