Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

What is Esatenkara - Bait Tenkara

What is Esatenkara - Bait Tenkara

Postby dwalker » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:14 pm

What is Esatenkara, エサテンカラ ?

I haven’t ( yet) figured that out myself. I thought at first it was just a term used by a few individuals, and not really a common or main stream method of fishing. However, that seems to not the case - there has been a vhs video made about it and it has been written about in a book. I have learned enough to know that:

1- if I google search the term I get over 10 pages of results.
2- It seems to be related to another method of fishing that I haven’t figured out that gets translated as Zero Fishing Method,in Japanese 零釣法 or more often I find it written this way ゼロ釣法 , not sure if zero fishing method is an accurate translation or just a weird translation. Several rod models can be found that have Zero stamped on the rod, either way the Japanese term is accurate. ゼロ釣法 is a term I run across ever now and again but have never quit figured out what it is. Search for ゼロ釣法 竿 to find several examples of rods labeled this way. Or search for ゼロ釣法 to find web pages talking about this method of fishing.

3- If you separate the term it ends up getting translated into English as “Bait Tenkara”. エサテンカラ; エサ Esa , bait and テンカラ Tenkara.
4- One web page had this phrase - エサテンカラ歴60年以上という , Esatenkara has a history of more than 60 years. Seems this method of fishing has been around for awhile.

5- A Japanese author , 伊藤稔 Minoru Ito, has written several books about different types of fishing. In 1993 he made a vhs video that is no longer in production titled, 伊藤稔のエサテンカラの世界 , Minoru Ito’s
World of Esatenkara or Perhaps it’s just World of Esatenkara by Minoru Ito.
Here is a link to a web page about it. Thought there is not picture of the video.

http://bookweb.kinokuniya.co.jp/htm/4988013052574.html

I did find a picture of the video on an auction page

http://page12.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p293679625#enlargeimg

Minoru Ito has also written a book The Zero Fishing method , a sample of this book can be found on line. Page 91 has a drawing labeled Esatenkara casting:

http://books.google.com/books?id=4gUuWHLujDUC&pg=PA91&lpg=PA91&dq=%E3%82%A8%E3%82%B5%E3%83%86%E3%83%B3%E3%82%AB%E3%83%A9&source=bl&ots=0MXl9UnCtZ&sig=WOY6Nftm19gUKrl1G-ktzrqjuj4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=g3J_UNOCHOer0AGwyYGYCQ&ved=0CGUQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=%E3%82%A8%E3%82%B5%E3%83%86%E3%83%B3%E3%82%AB%E3%83%A9&f=false

6- I was lead to believe Esatenkara is used during times of low water or rising water temperatures because I found statements like this 渇水時最強のエサテンカ , Esatenka is strongest ( best?) during drought. Other web pages where I found the esatenkara term talked about esatenkara fishing during raising water temperatures or during times of low water.

7- This is the only drawing I have found that shows the esatenkara fishing rig

http://tenkarakebari.img.jugem.jp/20120804_53437.jpg

The エサテンカラ Esatenkara rig

you might notice that in this particular drawing the rod used is not labeled as a tenkara rod, it is labeled only as a 4.5 m fly rod, ハエサオ 4.5 m. The line used is Owner line that is fairly short and there is an Owner bait hook on the end of the line. With the line being much shorter than the rod it looks a lot like the so-called lantern fishing rigs. I haven’t figured out what the items on the line are above the hook. Perhaps strike indicators.

I found the above drawing on this parent web page:

http://tenkarakebari.jugem.jp/?cid=2

Also on this same page is another drawing of a different fishing rig. It is not labeled as an Esatenkara rig. It is labeled 本流エサ竿を使用した、テンカラ = main stream bait rod, tenkara.

It appears to be your standard tenkara fishing rig; long rod, line about the same length as the rod, with a kebari on the end of the line.

Note that it is not a tenkara rod; the rod is 7m in length and labeled as main stream rod ,本流サオ Honryū sao ( sao = rod)
So in a way it is also esatenkara rig, in that it still tenkara style fly fishing, except they are using a 7m bait rod for fly fishing and not using bait which seems to be the case with the rig labels as an esatenkara rig.

Here is the drawing of the “ main stream bait rod, tenkara” rig

http://tenkarakebari.img.jugem.jp/20120804_53438.jpg

Another unusual tenkara fishing method can be found on this same web site. However, when I google search for this other term there are not nearly as many web page hits for this other method. Only a few hits on one page. Thus I think it is a less common practice than esatenkara.

It is called W・I(ウエイト・インジケーター)テンカラ, W I (ueito injikētā) Tenkara , W · I (weight indicator) Tenkara.

Well, I assume it is weight and not wait, though sometimes it does translate as wait.

A drawing of the rig, note the rod is labeled as a 4.5m tenkara rod, in this case it appears to be a couple of different models of Daiwa rods.

http://tenkarakebari.img.jugem.jp/20120919_149931.jpg

Found here:

http://tenkarakebari.jugem.jp/?eid=290

http://tenkarakebari.jugem.jp/?eid=289

I don’t really understand what the weight indicator really is, but if I google the weight indicator term, (ウエイト・インジケーター), I find some flies that are nothing like anything I have seen before.

Check out some of these flies, particularly the ones about half way down the page. Labeled フローティングニンフ、フローティングピューパ, the first term translates as ‘floating nymph’, not sure what an accurate translation of the second phrase is. The closest I can get is ‘floating pyupa’ . Maybe some of you have seen flies like these before. They are completely new to me.

http://toyamarod.com/flies.html

While I have dug up a good bit more about Esatenkara, I think this post has gotten way to long already.

Thoughts?

Is it 'tenkara' or not. If as one web page stated, that esatenkara has a 60 years history, it would seem to support the idea that it is. However, before finding esatenkara, I was of the opinion that the one constant with tenkara was that it is fly fishing.

:?
D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Re: What is Esatenkara - Bait Tenkara

Postby adventureR » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:36 pm

Is that a weight attached then the fly floats at the end of the tippet? Hmmmm
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby dwalker » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:12 pm

adventureR wrote:Is that a weight attached then the fly floats at the end of the tippet? Hmmmm

I don't know quite how that is set up. Just do a google search for the W I term written in Japanese. Actually it looks more like a ball float or bobber with a kebari on the end. Rather than a weight or sinker up above with a kebari on the end. One would think this type of fishing would require a stiff rod. Yet the diagram or drawing shows two models of Daiwa tenkara rod for this set up. It might be interesting to search for those two models of Daiwa rod and find out what their flex index is. I wouldn't think you could add the weight of a bobber / float , plus the kebari to the line of a soft tenkara rod.

However, the W I tenkara technique is a much different technique from the Esatenkara setup. I found 18 pages of hits on the Esatenkara term. Though several were dead links. For the WI Tenkara I found less than one page of hits for it, so it appears to be not practiced as much as the Esatenkara method.

However, there were several pages of hits on the weight indicator term. (ウエイト・インジケーター)Do a search with these terms and perhaps something will make it more clear how this is set up. Who knows, maybe weight indicator is just the Japanese phrase for describing what we normally call a sinker and bobber sit up. :? After all a bobber is in function just an indicator of weight pulling it down. So maybe weight indicator is just the Japanese term for bobber. The web page links the idea of 'float ball tenkara' and Weight Indicator tenkara' as related techniques. Thus this supports the idea that a ball float or bobber is above the kebari.

The whole thing, Float Ball Tenkara, W I Tenkara and Esatenkara , all leave me a bit confused. :?

Before now I always thought of Tenkara as just a term for Japanese style fly fishing. Floats, bobbers, and bait never entered the picture.

Here is a link to a current 2 disc DVD set about Zero Stream Fishing. In the description for disc 2 it says something about giving a detailed description of Esatenkara and the evolution of dead drift fishing, among other things described on disc 2.

http://e-tsuribito.jp/pages/shopping/video/02/3044.php

The Esatenkara method on the web pages I have looked at most often talked about it as a near surface technique.

For esatenkara most often I have seen ピンチョロ, Pinchoro, as the recommended bait.
http://www012.upp.so-net.ne.jp/fishing/pintyoro.html

One esatenkara web site had this phrase (エサはピンチョロを使用)(Esa wa pinchoro o shiyō) (Use bait Pinchoro)

I know you asked about the WI Tenkara technique. But mostly I included the information about WI Tenkara as a contrast to the エサテンカラ Esatenkara technique. To show, if anyone did a search with the terms, that there is a lot more information on the web about Esatenkara than there is about Float Ball Tenkara or WI Tenkara.

Earlier I forgot to include the Japanese term for Float Ball Tenkara. It is 玉ウキてんから, Tama uki ten kara, Float Ball from Heaven.

It seems to be about the same thing as WI Tenkara. Indeed the web page at the top is titled 'Float Ball Tenkara". but lower down the page it says it ( float ball tenkars) is the secret to WI Tenkara. Here is a link :

http://tenkarakebari.jugem.jp/?day=20120925

Interestingly. If I substitute the usual way tenkra is spelled into the term for float ball tenkara, 玉ウキテンカラ, Tama ukitenkara, ball float tenkra. vs 玉ウキてんから, Tama uki ten kara, Float ball from heaven. It only gets two google hits, and those actually refer back to the same tenkarkebari web site.

I have found 3 ways to spell Tenkara or ten kara. The different ways of spelling it sometimes seem to refer to something different , yet at other times the different ways of spelling it seem to be used interchangeably .

They are :
天から ten kara, from above or from heaven
てんから ten kara , from above or from heaven
テンカラ tenkara, tenkara
Sometimes you can find interesting things by substituting one of the other spellings, and other times it doesn't turn up much. I guess it's a bit like saying; cheap or low cost in English. ;)

No claim here that I know what these fishing techniques are or how they are practiced. Just that I have discovered that they exist.

One seems a very fringe practice the other more widely practiced. All seems out of bounds from what I thought I knew about Tenkara. However, if Esatenkara is included on a current DVD and not just on a video made 9 years ago then it would appear to have several people who fish this way or shortly will be. So I guess tenkara is still evolving in Japan as it is here. ;)

D ;)
dwalker

Postby dwalker » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:40 pm

Opps. If you do a search for the term for weight indicator. ウェイト・インジケーター by itself you get all kinds of things that are not what you are looking for . Such as indicator lights or weight room weights.

You get much better results if you include a fishing related term. Use terms like:

ウェイト・インジケーター・釣り Weight Indicator Fishing

or

ウェイト・インジケーター・毛鉤 Weight Indicator Kebari

or substitute some other fishing related term on the end and you'll get much better search results.
dwalker

Postby adventureR » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:33 pm

Some of this seems to be bait fishing. But as usual the lost in translation thing...... What I just got in looking around was techniques using the drift either on the surface or lower. Looks like a lot of different types of indicators too...... I also found this.

http://plaza.rakuten.co.jp/taikumikei/d ... 705060001/

Looks like a different set up. And many flies that look as though they'll float.

http://akigawalife.naturum.ne.jp/e947071.html Perhaps drifting with indicators.

I can see the use during super high waters, I have attemped fast water Tenkara, during flood waters. Really poor fishing. Out of the norm techniques are probably utilized. Maybe?
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby Jason Klass » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:55 pm

I'm so not interested in bait fishing. To me it's boring and involves little skill. I've done my fair share of bait fishing--everything from worms on a hook to catch bass & panfish to chumming the open ocean for bluefish. Ever since I discovered fly fishing, it was no longer satisfying to me.

At the last Tenkara Summit, one of the Japanese presenters gave the anecdote that bait fishing is like being a liar while fooling a fish with a fly is like being a magician. I'd rather strive to be a magician. :)
My blog: Tenkara Talk

Tenkara USA Rods: Amago, Ayu, Ayu Series II, Ebisu, Ito, Iwana 11', Iwana 12', Rhodo, Sato, Yamame.
Jason Klass

Postby adventureR » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:08 pm

We were wondering what the Esatenkara was. Not tring to spread the use of a Tenkara bait technique.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby adventureR » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:11 pm

The Esa reminds me of the noise they made on the movie Dune firing their sound weapons. :o

Then I saw the first picture you posted under the tittle "The エサテンカラ Esatenkara rig" And remembered reading about a dirty way of fishing placing a hook behind the fly to fowl hook the fish investigating the fly, called it a dirty trick. Maybe another possible way to look.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby Bobc » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:11 pm

I think that you have to consider that "tenkara" was first used by market fisherman. I think that they would have used bait if readily available and worked better than a fly. Just my two cents.
Bobc

Postby tnitz » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:49 pm

Thanks once again dwalker! Great stuff to expand our awareness. Today I received a "dace" fishing kit in the mail consisting of a wooden bobber and a series of kebari. Don't know much more about it, but this post refers to something that sounds similar.
tnitz

Next

Return to General technique