Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Just starting - Strike Indicator Question

Just starting - Strike Indicator Question

Postby SonOfMartin » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:40 pm

My Iwana is due on my doorstep tomorrow!

In reading Kelleher' book, he talks about a foam strip indicator. Has anyone tried this? I can't seem to wrap my brain around how it's attached to the tippet - does anyone have a photo they can post to help me out?

I've western style fished for 20+ years but I'm really anxious to learn Tenkara style!

Thanks in advance for any help or advice on strike indicators you can offer.
SonOfMartin

Re: Just starting - Strike Indicator Question

Postby goneflyfishing » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:16 pm

fly shops sell some adhesive roll-on foam indicators that you can roll onto your line. I used to use those way back when I was Western fly fishing and they are neat and very sensitive. But they will have too much wind resistance with a tenkara outfit, imo. I haven't used indicators fishing tenkara this entire season, relying on the hi-vis line 100%. I can't say that I caught less fish...

sticky foam indicator: http://www.ezflyfish.com/foamstrikin.html
Live long and fly fish.
My Blog: Tenkara On The Fly
Twitter: @tenkaraonthefly
Facebook: Tenkara On The Fly
goneflyfishing

Postby narcodog » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:39 pm

To me fishing with a bobber is a crutch and has no place in fly fishing....
narcodog

Postby 257ROBT » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:52 pm

I tried these indicators at the end of our WI season: http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/product.php?productid=18815&cat=966&page=1

They do have their time and place for me. I like the 3/8" size. I also like that they adjust easily and are can removed very quickly.

Dale
257ROBT

Postby rsetina » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:01 pm

I've never used an indicator and don't feel I need one as long as I keep the line tight enough so I keep in contact with the fly. Watch your line for any movement along with the tip of the rod. If you do keep a tight line you'll feel the fish. The rod is so long and the tip so sensitive you'll know when to strike. Practice.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby 257ROBT » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:27 am

257ROBT wrote:I tried these indicators at the end of our WI season: http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/product.php?productid=18815&cat=966&page=1

They do have their time and place for me. I like the 3/8" size. I also like that they adjust easily and are can removed very quickly.

Dale

I also should add that on some of streams I fish, the overhead cover is bad. I am not able to keep a tight line. This is when I use an indicator. Landing a fish is hard enough, let alone trying to keep a tight line. I also use them for certain warm water situations, such as fishing in the fall and the water gets colder. I like to fish a tiny kebari behind it. This lets me fish the kebari much slower.

Dale
257ROBT

Return to General technique