Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

How Should I Cast Long Tippet Into The Wind?

Re: How Should I Cast Long Tippet Into The Wind?

Postby GregM » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:48 pm

johnlaudenslager wrote: Are you still interested in casting long on our river?

Am I stuck in some weird wrong place?

John,
I do OK getting line out. It was tippet turnover with a light fly into the wind that was the issue.

In terms of line length (with an Amago), I've settled into 16' of line and 2' to 6' of tippet. I can go longer in terms of casting, but then I'm not able to consistently bring a fish to net. I try to coax them to run upstream until they're too tired to fight, but if a fish runs towards me on a rig longer than 20' it can get enough slack to shake the hook. For the most part , right now, the Arkansas (up here) is low and narrow, so 20' of line is plenty.

And you might be stuck in some weird place, I don't really know your circumstances. But if you are on or near the Arkansas you are most certainly Not in the wrong place.

Tight Lines.

Greg
GregM

Postby johnlaudenslager » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:48 am

Greg, I apologize for posting off your topic, and for using kind of weird wording, too. You are right about the Arkansas River not being a weird place. I'm going to PM you now.
johnlaudenslager

Postby GregM » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:39 am

Hey -
No apology needed.

Once again my "terseness gene" expresses itself, often to the befuddlement of others.

We live in a good spot, and have fun doing it.
GregM

Postby GregM » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:59 am

PM returned. (I think.)
GregM

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:30 pm

I have to agree that line management is a bigger problem for me than casting when it's windy, not that casting can't be an issue. I'm sure that the weighted bead head fly helps anchor your line in the wind. A lot of time I like to let some of the level line sink in the water to do the same thing, but that only works to a certain extent and it makes it tougher to detect strikes. I used to fish the Arkansas a bit when I lived in CO. Seems like it would be an awesome tenkara river.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby johnlaudenslager » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 pm

John, it seems we share issues with wind and cope with it with the same techniques. Yes, The Arkansas is great for Tenkara and any other style too. Its windiness is the little bugger (booger). We are off GregM's topic here so if you have some other high wind Tenkara (or winter Tenkara) insights, PM me. I don't want to p..s Greg off. I have just opened a PM conversation with him enough to know I need to keep him as a friend.
johnlaudenslager

Postby GregM » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:47 pm

Drift is good.
Thread drift is good...

... anyway, this horse is nearly dead.
GregM

Previous

Return to General technique