Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Tenkara bait fishing!

Tenkara bait fishing!

Postby tejplunkett » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:55 pm

Hi Folks! Not having much success fly fishing here in southwestern Idaho (as usual!?) so heres my latest idea (cause i love Tenkara) how about, bait fishing?! My idea is, tenkara rod, tenkara line and tippett, 4 to 5 ft of tippet, a very small strike indicator at the end of the line (not tippet) a small hook with a small weight and a piece of worm, liver, etc. what do you think? I HAVE TO MAKE TENKARA work for me here!
tejplunkett

Re: Tenkara bait fishing!

Postby adventureR » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:22 pm

I don't think you'll have to go so far with your set up. I have used my Yamame rod many times to do Tanago type fishing for really small fish. I just leave everything the same as if I was fishing Tenkara, but use a smaller fly, or small hook with bait. The sensitivity of the rod with a tight line can tell you if a fish is on. I'm always surprised by the fight a minnow can give. You'll know if you hooked a fish. Maybe the Tanago side of things could be a good field to study for a mixing up of two methods of fishing.
I think in Texas you'll find a fly to be easier than bait. I have found this here not including the Tanago. The Sunfish seem to bite as long as it's not freezing out, which only happens here a few days a year. I think the constant replacing of bait, not as easy as a durable fly imitating the bait. Just my personal findings through the last few years.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby achilles38 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:49 pm

I've used small trout traps and trout magnets on my Amago with a small hook, wacky rigged or normal, just like I would with my ultralight setup in mountain creeks. I've also tried salmon eggs on small hooks when fishing for something to eat, but I don't use bait if I'm going to release the fish, which is 99.9% of the time. The trout traps and trout magnets work well and cast fairly easily since they're so light. It's been a while since I only use flies now and mainly only an Ishigaki Kebari from TUSA. Try the bait, just make sure the tippet isn't too strong and you break the tip of the rod while casting heavy bait.
Jeremy
achilles38

Postby rmcworthing » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:39 am

Coure you should try anything you want. But the fly fishing in southwest ID is really good. If you're not having much luck, I have to presume something is missing in the technique. Maybe presentation, maybe strike detection, etc. if you're interested in seeing if there is anything you could change up to start enjoying those Idaho fish, send me an email.
rmcworthing

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:48 am

How about bring along a video camera and tripod and video yourself fishing some of your fishing holes.

Maybe if you post to YouTube some of the tenkara folks here that know their stuff can watch the vids and see if they can offer sound advice.

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby Jason Klass » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:47 pm

TJ @ Tenkara USA wrote:How about bring along a video camera and tripod and video yourself fishing some of your fishing holes.

Maybe if you post to YouTube some of the tenkara folks here that know their stuff can watch the vids and see if they can offer sound advice.

TJ

I think TJ has a good idea here. Many people ask for advice on "what they're doing wrong" but it's hard to say without seeing what you're doing. Why give up on tenkara soon? I'd encourage you to rise to the challenge, get advice from the great community here, and master it! I think you will feel a much higher sense of accomplishment if you catch a fish with a fly than with bait. :)
My blog: Tenkara Talk

Tenkara USA Rods: Amago, Ayu, Ayu Series II, Ebisu, Ito, Iwana 11', Iwana 12', Rhodo, Sato, Yamame.
Jason Klass

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:51 pm

I agree. A video is a great idea. I'm not sure how far you are from Salt Lake, or if anyone else has suggested this, but a guide trip with Tenkara Guides might be a really great learning experience. Good luck with whatever you decide.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby tsegelke » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:43 pm

I think trying to do any Tenkara casting with bait would quickly result in throwing the bait behind you. If you are fishing for more warm water fish (bass, sunfish, etc.), my experience is the scent does help a lot. Before bait, I would try some of the scents that bass fisherman use (fish goo, trout slime etc.). That may give you the little bit something extra to get things going. Otherwise, I agree with the video idea.

How far are you from the Copper Basin, Lost Wood, S Boise? I have fished those and they were awesome for trout.
tsegelke

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:23 pm

:D
I'll second the idea of going out with a guide... money well spent. You'll be amazed at what all you can learn. If no tenkara guides in your area, try a regular fly fishing guide. Be sure to talk to them in advance and tell them what you want to do. I've had guys that just want to catch fish, ( I get them on fish) and others who want me to teach them how to fish.

Also, are there any other tenkara anglers you could go fishing with?
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story.
Stan Wright

Return to General technique