Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Knothead Trout, The People's Game

Knothead Trout, The People's Game

Postby adventureR » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:48 pm

Made this a while back, thought I'd show it under techniques for practice.
I call it Knothead Trout as mentioned in this link. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2914 It's a fun game and makes your cast much more precise and accurate. It's great for Nephew practice and family gatherings where I can't escape to go fishing. Hope you all like it.

Rules
Each game comes with two Saftey Pin Kebari (fly). The object of the game is to try to cast the fly with ten turns and get close enough to attach/attract the fly to the Knothead's magnetic eyes. The point for hooking the fish is only earned after unhooking the fish by hand. The retreive is part of the game having the weight of the fish balanced to the power of the magnet. After ten casts it's your opponents turn. Many players can join in. But the winner of the pervious round always gets to play the next round. Also another fun version of the game (of which my nephews like the most) is two players at the same time. Two or more players evenly spaced around the Knothead Trout. Then players cast at the same time to see who will "hook" the fish first. It's a very fun outside game that teaches how to cast without even noticing that your learning.

Jeremy
Last edited by adventureR on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Re: Knothead Trout

Postby jd_smith » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:15 pm

Jeremy that is really cool. It sounds like it would be a lot of fun to play with the kids and family. I think I could even come up with some variations to make it a drinking game for the over 21 crowd. I WANT ONE!

JD
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby acheateaux » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:46 pm

I'd love to see a how-to including what size weights, magnets and fish.
acheateaux

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:53 pm

Jeremy,
That's ingenious! We were just talking of doing some fun casting games at the summit in a couple of weeks, this would be a wonderful game to play I think!
Would you like to loan it to us? No pressure of course, and I'd hate possibly losing it. But, it would potentially be a lot of fun for a casting precision game out there. OR, if you would like to make one more I'd love to purchase one for the games and to keep in my own museum!

Daniel
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby Jason Klass » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:41 am

That is an awesome idea! We need to start the tenkaralympics and have this as an event!
My blog: Tenkara Talk

Tenkara USA Rods: Amago, Ayu, Ayu Series II, Ebisu, Ito, Iwana 11', Iwana 12', Rhodo, Sato, Yamame.
Jason Klass

Postby adventureR » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:09 am

Looks like I need to carve somemore fish.

Glad you all like my game!

JD, that would be a great addition to some rules. I'll make you one.

Daniel, thanks and I'll get right on making you one too. The game is alot of fun and I'd love you to share it for the Summit.

acheateaux, I'll have to get access to a scale or something to figure out all the tech specs. The weight has to be enough to retreive the fish and at the same time also enough to make Knothead Trout more than just hitting the target. The retrieval adds an extra level to the game keeping it hooked through the grass. And it really feels like a fish on the rod due to the weight.

Jason, it'll be a little better than casting to a bowl or cup. Tenkara event gatherings would be nice with an official casting game.

Jeremy
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby jd_smith » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:27 am

Jeremy that sounds great, a very generous offer indeed! It's your artwork so you name the price and I'll pay you for it. Send me a PM about that part please. No hurries no worries. Thanks!

JD
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:11 pm

Very cool! Looks like fun. Tj
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby adventureR » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:35 am

Put in a few hours a carving yesterday on another couple games. My nephew found a tree frog, I thought it fitting to put the two together. With all the fish feeding on frog eggs and tadpoles this time of year. The game made from wood, joining all the simple elements attracted with a certain magnetism. :o

I'll PM you JD, and Daniel when I get alittle further along.

acheateaux, putting a little thought into the game, you'll have to make the carving realitivly light weight, like around an ounce with magnets installed. The power of the magnets will play a big part in the amount of difficulty in the game. With all the variables involved in the weight, and magnet strength, you'll have to tinker around quite a bit. This is part of the fun too for me.

¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:43 pm

This is way too cool. Was telling a few people about it the last few days and I just can't wait to see that. Please do let me know how much I will owe you for it on your pm, etc.

Thank you for making it.

Daniel
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Next

Return to General technique