Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Right size fly for the job & Hook Damage to Fish

Re: Right size fly for the job & Hook Damage to Fish

Postby TheHugbot » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:21 am

no problems removing a sz26 from this fish.

TheHugbot

Postby Anthony » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:44 am

just to be clarify, my earlier post about switching to a bigger dry-fly vs. a small wetfly, to avoid fish eating it, was specific to panfish. They seem to eat differently than trout do - sucking small flies deeply, actually trying to eat them. Whereas trout seem to be better at detecting the fraud and spitting it out quickly.

I can't think of a time that a fly was really taken deeply by a trout for me.
Ebisu (now retired), Iwana 11'ft (with additional short handle - also retired), Amago, Ito, Ayu II, Rhodo, Sato
Anthony

Postby TheHugbot » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:56 am

hmmm... I see what you meen when you say that panfish can take the bait deeper, but I have also had a couple of trout take the hook right down to the gill area. perch in particular (and crappie I suppose, I have never caught a crappie) can take a bait way down just by opening their mouth, I should have mentioned that for perch I like to use a big a hook as I can, preferably a sz6.
TheHugbot

Postby Tenkara Elevated » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:24 pm

On the kebari I have been using trying to find that single magic fly the materials and hackle color has changed but the hook size have remained a 10. I was going to try the eight or twelve but the 10 has really been great for me, no matter the size of the fish. I fished this stream last week and caught a eight inch cut and the very next cast caught a 19 inch brown, so if the fish don't care and are not getting hurt then why change.

Not sure if this is fact, but kebari with dubbed or yarn bodies seem to be held just a bit longer.
Tenkara Elevated

Postby Markpdx » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:55 pm

Definitely using a hemostat/forceps is the way to go, especially if we push the hook slightly towards the rear to dislodge it from the throat tissue, without any side to side wrangling of the hook, that causes bleeding. Of course keep the fish submerged as much as possible, with minimum time removing the hook, and get oxygenated water over the gills til its well revived before releasing.

When I talk with guide friends, almost all of them say they use size #14 hooks for their nymphs, almost no mater where they fish. If that's true, going smaller may not be neccessary. That would seem that almost any subsurface fly would work on a #14, yet a lot of fishermen swear by smaller hooks, even for big fish.
I have also read and heard that more circular the hook, instead "J" shaped, the less the hook will go deeper in the throat. Of course the bigger the throat the easier anything can go deeper.

For decades I've heard cut the tippet, the hook will quickly rust away and the fish will be ok.
I think a hook salesman said that.
I have never ever seen an example of a hook left submerged in water for a week or two to see how it rusted away. Most rusting requires oxidation, as in exposure to air. Not so much under water. Hooks are also made of different metals and alloys, which would affect their resistance to rust. Are the hooks you've used on your flies rusty? Few of mine ever are.
Do personal test. Put one of each of the hooks you use in a jar, submerged with unchlorinater water for a month. Any rust away?
Then there is the difficulty in eating or swallowing with a hook in your throat.

Recently I caught 12 lake trout in two hours (6"-10"), 4 lake trout over two days (8"-12"), and one 17" Steelhead all a week apart from each fishing event (3 weeks total) all on the same exact fly. Sasaki Kebari, crimped de-barbed TMC 24987 #14, wrapped with thin Morino wool and Grizzly hackle. It is looking a little tooth worn, still very fishable, and absolutely no signs of rust or coorosion.
Attachments
TMC 2487 14.jpg
TUSA Amago, TUSA Ito
Markpdx

Previous

Return to General technique