Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Superhuman Casting Technique (Casting Long Nylon Level Line)

Superhuman Casting Technique (Casting Long Nylon Level Line)

Postby Eddie » Tue May 22, 2012 6:10 am

There is a master who is famous for his superhuman casting technique. He casts a 23' #4 nylon level line + 4' #2 nylon tippet with a 10' rod. This master is Mr. Takekabu (竹株渓遊), and you can find his name on the net. I have ever tried this technique several times, but of course I have never been successful. If you have a question why his technique is called superhuman, you can easily get the answer when you actually try to cast a long nylon level line.

Last week, two of our club members and I had a chance to visit him and spend two days to see his techniques first hand and have some lesson from him. I thought that his technique was on an extension of the conventional casting technique, but found that his technique is completely different from the ordinary one.

I did not perform his technique sufficiently, but I caught two amago with 20' #4 nylon level line + tippet. I do not want to convert to a nylon level line, but I intend to pursue his technique. Even if you cast a taper line or a fluorocarbon level line, his technique can be helpful in a case of casting against a strong against wind. In addition, mastering different techniques help you improve your current technique. If someone is interested in his technique, I will share information.

Eddie
Eddie

Re: Superhuman Casting Technique (Casting Long Nylon Level L

Postby adventureR » Tue May 22, 2012 7:15 am

Eddie it sounds intriguing. The longer cast would really benifit an angler around wary fish. Or just to keep from disrupting a clear pristine pool. I imagine the long cast being a combination of rod loading and a perfected wrist snap technique. I have only played around with the long cast. The 7:3 Yamame rod I use probably isn't the best for long delicate casts. Love to learn the new Tenkara techniques and skills.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Tue May 22, 2012 9:06 am

Eddie, do you have an links to Mr. Takekabu? I did a quick search but did not find much.

Would be sweet to see videos of this in action.

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby tsegelke » Tue May 22, 2012 5:41 pm

I am always interested in more casting tips and techniques. Thus far, I am thinking of not taking, or bringing my Tenkara as a secondary rod for larger rivers. This would mean that many more places I can leave the reel at home.

Thanks
tsegelke

Postby CM_Stewart » Tue May 22, 2012 6:30 pm

Does he say why he uses nylon rather than fluorocarbon?
CM_Stewart

Postby Eddie » Tue May 22, 2012 6:32 pm

Regarding videos of his casting, I don't think they are available through the net or any other ways. A video cassette tape featuring his technique was once issued, but it is now out of printing and I don't have one. In addition, I think it is extremely difficult to master his technique by video and books. I am going to master that technique before the Tenkara Summit, and I would like to show it at the summit if I have a chance.

I don't know now how long a line that technique can cast. Mr. Takekabu says he cast 30' line including tippet by that technique.

If you would like to cast a long line, using thicker taper lines or level lines is an option. I have 32' and 40' taper lines although I have few chances to use them on the small streams in Japan. You can easily cast them with an ordinary tenkara rod and an ordinary casting technique
Eddie

Postby Eddie » Tue May 22, 2012 6:42 pm

CM_Stewart wrote:Does he say why he uses nylon rather than fluorocarbon?

He calls his technique "紀州テンカラ" after the name of his local area. He leaned his technique from an local tenkara fisher about 60 years ago as a traditional tenkara technique of his local area. I think he would like to hand on that technique to the next generation. Some Japanese tenkara fishers including me are not only after effectiveness of the technique.
Eddie

Postby Jason Klass » Tue May 22, 2012 10:13 pm

CM_Stewart wrote:Does he say why he uses nylon rather than fluorocarbon?

I'd like to know the answer to this question to. Is it because he thinks nylon makes a more delicate presentation than fluorocarbon?
My blog: Tenkara Talk

Tenkara USA Rods: Amago, Ayu, Ayu Series II, Ebisu, Ito, Iwana 11', Iwana 12', Rhodo, Sato, Yamame.
Jason Klass

Postby CM_Stewart » Wed May 23, 2012 10:05 am

Reading between the lines of Eddie's post, it seems that the technique is a technique for casting nylon line. It was developed before fluorocarbon lines were first used. To preserve the technique, he uses nylon line. Whether fluorocarbon would be "better" is irrelevant. It is a preservation of the old ways.
CM_Stewart

Postby lolajoker » Thu May 24, 2012 2:30 am

Here's a video of Tenkara No Oni casting 25' of line with a 10 ft. rod:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTld2_yAHO4
lolajoker

Next

Return to General technique