The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

One fly techniques

One fly techniques

Postby hselbie » Mon May 07, 2012 5:29 pm

Hello, this is a question for people who dedicate to a limited number of flies, as I understand it, the theory is, your fly doesn't matter as much as the way you fish it. So if you're not catching fish in a stretch of river where you're pretty sure there are fish you change the technique rather than the fly.

So assuming your fly or assortment of patterns is a sakasa kebari of whatever custom colour's you like. Then what are the techniques you run through?
I know there is a T-USA blog post for dead drift, sinking a fly, and pausing a fly, but what others are there? Presumably, swinging, pulsating while drifting, pulsating while swinging, any others?

Are there any favourites that you goto first off?

Cheers.
hselbie

Re: One fly techniques

Postby Eddie » Mon May 07, 2012 5:50 pm

One possible method is to continue casting on the same spot again and again like 20 to 30 times.

Some fish bite after 20-30 casting.
I have a few experiences that I caught a fish after 10 minute casting on the same spot.

Eddie
Eddie

Postby tntom » Mon May 07, 2012 6:36 pm

Technique is much more than what fly you fish or how you fish it. These things have caught me a lot of fish.

1. Be sneaky. Stay low when you walk to the run you are about to fish.
2. Keep moving. Don't spend a lot of time in one place. Your best chance to catch a fish is your first cast.
3. Assess the situation before you cast or even approach the water if you can. Look at a run and decide how you are going to fish the run which place 1st, 2nd, 3rd and so on.
4. Use short casts. Don't cast over a fish.
5. Don't ignore unlikely water.
6. Pick your fights. If you can't make a cast move on.
7. Don't dwell on the fly pattern
8. When you make that first cast to a place that you think holds a fish be shocked if the fish does not strike. Fish can look at a fly in a split second be ready to set the hook. Don't let your mind wander focus on the fly.
9. The most important thing is HAVE FUN.
These things have caught me a lot of fish and I am not a very good fiahermen.

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby Darrin Terry » Mon May 07, 2012 7:32 pm

tntom wrote:Technique is much more than what fly you fish or how you fish it. These things have caught me a lot of fish.

1. Be sneaky. Stay low when you walk to the run you are about to fish.
2. Keep moving. Don't spend a lot of time in one place. Your best chance to catch a fish is your first cast.
3. Assess the situation before you cast or even approach the water if you can. Look at a run and decide how you are going to fish the run which place 1st, 2nd, 3rd and so on.
4. Use short casts. Don't cast over a fish.
5. Don't ignore unlikely water.
6. Pick your fights. If you can't make a cast move on.
7. Don't dwell on the fly pattern
8. When you make that first cast to a place that you think holds a fish be shocked if the fish does not strike. Fish can look at a fly in a split second be ready to set the hook. Don't let your mind wander focus on the fly.
9. The most important thing is HAVE FUN.
These things have caught me a lot of fish and I am not a very good fiahermen.

Tom

That is an excellent list Tom.

#3 is so important. I am not always as aware of that one as I should be, but was just explaining to a friend last weekend while we fished. He wanted to fish this run from what I think of as the wrong side. I had him cross below the run & pool and spent some time explaining how I'd fish it and why I would do it that way.

#8…you have to believe you can do it, stay focused and adapt as needed. If you see others catching fish, do not get caught up worrying about how they are doing it. Chances are good they're using completely different
methods/gear anyway.

It can be frustrating when you're not catching and others are. Worse, it can distract you so that your attention is not where it should be…on your fishing. I think if you really want to figure out what someone else is doing, stop and just watch for a while. That way you can maybe learn something and still not throw your own game off. I've worked both sides of that coin.

I have just started really using the sekasa kebaris this season. One thing I found out quickly is that I can't pulse the fly unless I am fishing downstream or down and across. The flies are so light that even a modest current brings them down too fast for the pulse to work.

Need to get the fly/flies down quicker? Try laying your line (especially a fluoro level line) down on the water downstream of your fly/flies as soon as they hit the water. The current will drag the line under and pull the fly/flies with. Then, as you lift to the fly/flies the current will continue to sweep them downward until you have pulled the slack out. Now you will be back in contact with the fly/flies.

All of this is good to keep in mind no matter what type of fly fishing you are doing.
2012 Days Fishing - 18/366
Iwana : Series I : 11 ft Iwana : Series II : 12 ft
Darrin Terry

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Wed May 09, 2012 10:58 am

There are 6 main techniques that can be used, and each can be varied in a number of ways. Illustrations and videos are the easier way to show them, sorry we don't have more right now, but they are:
1) Dead drift
2) Pause and drift (try this with the rod tip high, and also try it with the rod tip low - lift your elbow high so the rod tip points down, having the rod tip low close to the water will make more of the line stay in the water and thus the fly will be below the surface).
Variation: PAUSE, try pausing the fly in one place for up to 5 seconds and then recast it to the same place and pause it there. The objective it to keep the fly in the exact same place (Mr. Yoshida told me that if one can hold the fly in the exact same place for 5 seconds, with no movement, then he will catch a fish - take that with a grain of salt).
3) "Create a hatch" - as Eddie mentioned, one technique is to cast to the exact same place multiple times, effectivelly creating a hatch - be sure to only have the fly touching the water. I have seen different variations: cast to the same place some 20-30 times as he mentioned, or 5-6 times and then letting it sit, repeat.
4) Up and down - cast quarter upstream, as the fly drifts follow it and at the same time pulsate the fly by moving the rod tip up and down about 3-5 inches. This should be a very controlled movement, not erratic. And, try working the stream in sections, not super long drifts. Mr. Amano does the up and down 4 times, counting to 4, and recasts.
5) Pulling - cast downstream and pull the fly upstream or towards the shore in some cases at about 1ft intervals. The rod tip should be low so the line serves as an anchor in the water and the fly doesn't come flying. This can be done fast, or slower.
6) Sinking. A few ways of doing this, but primarily casting upstream from a small plunge, then dropping the rod tip into the plunge to sink. Also, if there are no plunges so to speak, casting farther upstream will give the fly more time to sink. And, one other way is to cast the fly upstream, keep the rod tip in place till the fly goes dowstream from it, then when it does pull the line upstream a bit and let it slack by moving the rod tip slightly downstream from the first place you kept the rod tip in place, hold, move rod tip upstream a bit and return to slightly downstream, and repeat. Introducing that slack can allow the fly to sink more every time. When fishing with Karel and Jason in Colorado last year this is a technique I used to get a take on a day that was very slow and fish were not moving for the fly. We could see fish low in the water but not moving, so I did this, keeping the fly going in as straight a line as possible, to get the fly right to the fish nose. I also combined this with pausing my fly in a few places to give fish a chance to grab it.

* At each of these techniques, the most basic variation will be rod tip held high v. rod tip pointing down. When the rod tip is high the fly will tend to come up to the surface of the water, when the rod tip points down and more line is allowed into the water, the fly will stay below the surface.
* I have, in some situations, spent a fair amount of time in certain pools to work a fish and have had success at eventually hooking a fish by changing techniques. But, I agree that moving to the next pocket is the most effective way of fishing. Fish can have a hypnotizing effect on us and I know when we spot fish we sometimes spend inordinate amounts of time on one.
* I really like Tom's list, particularly #3, #5 and #6
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby tntom » Thu May 10, 2012 3:11 am

Daniel, that is what I was trying to say. "Don't dwell on the fly pattern"= Don't spend time trying to figure out which fly pattern will work by changing flies maybe would have been a better way to say it.

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Thu May 10, 2012 8:28 pm

AH! Then, I'm in complete agreement with you.
I took it for saying don't keep the same pattern on if it is not working. I'll take that part of my comment off. Maybe "don't worry about the pattern"?
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby hselbie » Fri May 11, 2012 11:01 am

Just wanted to thank you all for your excellent replies, this is exactly what I was looking for. Fingers crossed for a fish over 8 inches on my own fly now.
hselbie

Postby pechelman » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:16 am

Daniel @ Tenkara USA wrote:There are 6 main techniques that can be used,................

PAUSE, try pausing the fly in one place for up to 5 seconds and then recast it to the same place and pause it there. The objective it to keep the fly in the exact same place (Mr. Yoshida told me that if one can hold the fly in the exact same place for 5 seconds, with no movement, then he will catch a fish - take that with a grain of salt).

Daniel

It was great to meet you this past weekend, and having read this again and now having heard you talk about this on Saturday really reminded me of a few times this 5s pause has worked for me.

One spot I'm thinking of In particular, in cheeseman canyon, I've been able to 3/3 times get a fish to rise and 2/3 on hooking one, each on separate trips. The 1/3 that I missed was because my positioning was poor on a tall ledge and he saw me when he rose, spooked, and headed down.

Its a tricky spot with a deep still pool under and infront of a rock, a deep\swift side current running past and into a gentle upstream swirl infront a huge rock at waterline with a nearly dead calm area about 2sqft in size infront of the rock and behind some logs\vegetation.

All in all, the whole area is probably a small pocket of about 5 ft long by 7ft wide and is too deep to wade anywhere around it but there's a convinient rock you can hop to from a small shallow upstream to kneal down on about 15ft quarter & upstream.

Thinking back to it, it really did seem to me I was about ready to give up on the length of the dead still presentation in that area when the fish went for my dry fly. In reality, it was probably right about 5s.

Anyway, I guess you now have some corroborating 2nd hand info about the 5s, and rather than just starting to give up around 5s, I'll be aiming for it. :)

Oddly enough, it was this experience and location over these few trips a couple years back that made me know even before trying it this year that i would love tenkara. A somewhat difficult presentation with a shorter western rod and heavy\large fly line vs a long delicate rod and nothing but tippet on the water.
Attachments
untitled.JPG
pechelman

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:27 pm

Phil,

It was great meeting you over the weekend. Glad you came over.
Also, try feeding line into the current by having the rod tip low. Since it is deeper. Margaret and I spent a few minutes on Boulder Creek on Sunday evening. There was one spot that reminds me of your diagram. I had her do all the fishing and I did the coaching. In this spot, she tried several presentations and nothing (she knows the techniques). I told her, at the end of her pause/drift/pause/drift presentations, to pull the line upstream about 4ft and lower the rod tip, giving the line some slack, and feeding line into it, and repeating the pause drift approach. This got her fly about 2ft deep and the first time she did it she had a fish on! It was pretty cool to see the suggestion working like that.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Return to General technique