Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Ostrich Herl Fly Tying Uses - An Wapsi Fly Company Article

Your experiments and findings on tenkara fly-patterns and fly-tying.

Ostrich Herl Fly Tying Uses - An Wapsi Fly Company Article

Postby Karl Klavon » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:47 am

Probably, not many Kebari fly tiers use Ostrich Herl to tie their flies with, which may be missing out on the many advantages that this highly life-like material has to offer.

Fish eyes are Hard-Wired to detect motion. And when they see it, an exciter signal is automatically sent to the fish's brain that cannot be ignored. It can be over ridden of course, if something else is drastically wrong or out of place. But getting the fish all fired up puts we anglers way ahead in the angling game.

Ostrich herl can be effectively used as a collar hackle, a thorax, a body material, and as tailing material. In all of these applications, ostrich herl provides outstanding motion in the form of the long flues, and in the individual flue fibers that fish really do go for. Here is a link to an informative article on some of ostrich herl's uses, with great visual representations of them:

http://www.wapsifly.net/ostrich-herl-material-of-the-month/
Karl Klavon

Re: Ostrich Herl Fly Tying Uses - An Wapsi Fly Company Artic

Postby dwalker » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:59 am

An kebari / fly I tied with ostrich herl a couple of years ago. I have 3 or four colors. The only complaint I have is it is dyed and not very color fast. The bright color soon fades to an off-white color no matter what color it was originally dyed. The fly seems to be more attractive to fish before the color fades. However, fish do continue to take the fly, and it's easy enough to cut the materials off the hook and retie a similar one.

OstrichKebari.jpeg
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Re: Ostrich Herl Fly Tying Uses - An Wapsi Fly Company Artic

Postby Karl Klavon » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:50 am

Hello D, thank you for the input and the great photo. I really like the ostrich herl gills you put on your fly pattern. I have also experienced some fading as well, especially with the Mini-Barred Ostrich Herl. Not only do the colors eventually lighten up but the black bars eventually completely disappear. In my experience, black and the fluorescent colors are the most colorfast, as well as the natural colors that are not died. The herl on the patterns I tie is not easily replaceable. But you are right in that ostrich herl has great action in the water, is easy to tie with, and is relatively inexpensive. Best of all, most fish seem to really like flies that are tied with it, so I keep tying with it and just live with the fading problem.....Karl.
Karl Klavon

Return to Tenkara Flies