Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Why The Preoccupation With Beetle Patterns?

Your experiments and findings on tenkara fly-patterns and fly-tying.

Why The Preoccupation With Beetle Patterns?

Postby Karl Klavon » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:42 am

It may seem strange to most anglers here for me to be so preoccupied with beetle patterns. After all, are not Tenkara fishermen supposed to be fishing with more traditional Japanese Kebari patterns? Well, the Forrest Service determined that we have lost 140,000,000 pines in Seirra National Forest, due to the drought conditions and Pine Bark Beetle infestation to this point, with considerably more trees to follow here shortly. In Sequoia National Forest, just to the Southeast of where I live and go up to fish, 40 % of the trees have died for the same reasons. Driving up to go fishing, the whole forest looks like a wasteland of dead and dying trees. How many beetles does it take to kill a pine tree? I have no idea. A thousand beetles? Two-thousand beetles? However many it takes, there has to be a whole lot of beetles out there for the trout to eat, and beetle patterns work exceedingly well here, whether you are fishing in lakes or streams.

Added to that I see about 1,000 big black Carpenter Ants for every beetle that I see, and they are also highly effective fly patterns here. Terrestrial Spider Patterns also produce quite well, especially on streams, with Hopper Patterns also doing very well where the terrain is right for hopper populations to do well. Due to the drought conditions, many of our small streams that previously held trout have gone completely dry. And those that did not completely dry up became so warm that the trout in them died, with the brook trout going first, then the rainbows, and eventually the browns as well. The mayflies have pretty much completely disappeared, with the caddis and stonefly populations pretty much following suit, and so the terrestrials are about all that's left for the fish to eat besides the midges. The streams that have lakes at their headwaters will eventually re-seed their fish populations if their fish populations survive. But here and now, and for the foreseeable future, terrestrial fly patterns are about the most productive flies you can fish. That's why I have put so much time and effort into researching the most effective beetle patterns lately....Karl.
Karl Klavon

Beetles Make Up 25 Percent Of All The Lifeforms On Earth

Postby Karl Klavon » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:01 am

Karl Klavon

Re: Why The Preoccupation With Beetle Patterns?

Postby Karl Klavon » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:15 am

The US Forest Service has determined that another 18,000,000 trees died in California Forests in 2018, alone. But the beetles are still doing very well.
Karl Klavon

Return to Tenkara Flies