Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

The story of Vagabox... the traveling Tenkara fly box.

Your experiments and findings on tenkara fly-patterns and fly-tying.

Re: The story of Vagabox... the traveling Tenkara fly box.

Postby Anthony » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:03 am

Anxiously awaiting the Vagabox. Although it may find the temps here a little much. Some of the trout streams in central PA are at or approaching dangerous temps - so perhaps we'll play it safe and go for some warmwater fish.
Ebisu (now retired), Iwana 11'ft (with additional short handle - also retired), Amago, Ito, Ayu II, Rhodo, Sato
Anthony

Postby acheateaux » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:42 pm

SamEureka wrote:Achateaux,

If you are willing to let the Vagabox travel into the new year, I'd love to take it into Shenandoah National Park to experience some of my favorite rivers and runs and meet some of my Brook Trout friends. January and February are my favorite months in SNP but I'll also be fishing there in December if there is one last late December slot. :-)

Awesome idea for sure!!!

//Sam
Virginia Beach, VA

I'm all for keeping it going. And as a low post count member myself ( more of a talk less, carry a big rod ) you could maybe understand a wee bit of my hesitance in sending vagabox to someone that has only contributed 1 post. And that post was just asking for a shot at the box.

Jump in here, it's an awesome group of anglers. Contribute, and share your observations. But embrace the talk big when you talk philosophy. It works for me. I'll tentatively put you down for early 2013, as I REALLY want to see the pics.
acheateaux

Postby stevenlsmith87 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:49 pm

If you are letting this sucker continue to travel into the new year I would love to have it up here in SEPA!!
My Outdoor Blog
www.thesilentpursuit.com
stevenlsmith87

Postby SamEureka » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:10 am

I'm all for keeping it going. And as a low post count member myself ( more of a talk less, carry a big rod ) you could maybe understand a wee bit of my hesitance in sending vagabox to someone that has only contributed 1 post. And that post was just asking for a shot at the box.

Jump in here, it's an awesome group of anglers. Contribute, and share your observations. But embrace the talk big when you talk philosophy. It works for me. I'll tentatively put you down for early 2013, as I REALLY want to see the pics.

Hahaha! Totally understand your hesitation at the idea of sending the box into unknown hands! To be honest, I completely agree with you. Keep me penciled in... I'm new to the forum but you guys seem like a welcoming bunch and Daniel's enthusiasm for all things Tenkara is infectious, it makes you want to be a part of it all! I hope that I can make a positive contribution to the group. Proof is in the posting... :-)

//Sam
><))))°>
SamEureka

Postby Anthony » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:02 am

Well yesterday the Vagabox arrived here in SW PA. It was not happy at first when I told it that we would be going to a local, urban, warm water stream. It spluttered and blustered (said some things that I won't type here) and then sat there despondent and sulky all afternoon.

When I got home from the movies last evening- went to see Moonrise Kingdom (recommended if you like Wes Anderson movies), Vagabox was sitting at the computer. The firefox browser window was quickly minimized as I walked into the room. Later I checked the browsing history. Seems he was surfing fly shop websites looking at fly boxes. Also, though there was search activity related to warm water fishing. So I think he's warming up to the idea a bit - maybe he was just afraid of the unfamiliar.

This morning when I came downstairs he was sitting on the porch after his morning Spaziergang enjoying some coffee. He seems pretty excited to get out. All reservations regarding warm water and/or urban tenkara seem to have vanished.

I'll report back after our outing.
Ebisu (now retired), Iwana 11'ft (with additional short handle - also retired), Amago, Ito, Ayu II, Rhodo, Sato
Anthony

Postby adventureR » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:19 am

Perhaps Vagabox feared to witness the power of a fully operation 10" Bluegill, capable of stealing precious flies at will. :o
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby Kuhlow » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:26 am

Death Star reference.....Nice! When it comes to the fight put up by a 10" sized fish, nothing beats a bluegill.
Kuhlow

Postby Anthony » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:48 am

Ha. True too about the 10" bluegill.

thatsnomoon1300573973.jpg
Anthony

Postby Anthony » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:59 am

Well, Vagabox and I got out a bit yesterday. I am currently tying flies and being generally stressed out regarding packing and other preparations for the Summit and camping in UT and CO- so getting to a trout stream was out of the question. There are just no trout streams close enough.

However - I have been enjoying my local warm water stream quite a bit lately. It is nothing "special" - except that it is a survivor. When I was young to fish this stream was laughable. It has come back a over the past few decades. This particular stretch is over the hill from where I grew up. It flows behind the ball fields where I played little league and is within sight of where I had the highlight of my sporting career. The path back to the stream starts near where my one and only game-winning, grand-slam home run rolled to a stop in the trees.

I mused about this stream little in a recent blog post.

Vagabox was a little reluctant. When he saw the broken concrete "rip-rap" he was less than enthused. When I saw that the water was up a little and more cloudy than usual - I was less than enthused. I was hoping to get into a few smallies and I never have much luck with smallies when the water is cloudy (well cloudier than usual - this stream is generally cloudy to begin with).

I tied a large black sakasa kebari and within a few casts had a spunky little gill. After another gill on the black SK I decided to do the one fish per fly thing.

I fished for about an hour like this - it was not a banner day. But it was relaxing to be on the stream. I caught a couple of bluegill, two green sunfish, and also a rock bass. The rock bass escaped before I could get a picture.

The successful flies are shown in the pic below.

Vagabox seemed to have a good time - he was dissapointed, as was I that we didn't get any smallmouth, but was happy to meet a few new fish. He seemed particularly impressed with the way that the green sunfish attack and eat such comparatively large flies.

We may get out to a local pond this evening if time and weather permit.
Attachments
stream.JPG
vagabox day 1.jpg
Anthony

Postby jayfisher » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:02 am

As Vagabox wanders the world, it (he/she ?) seems to be really growing up and developing a unique persona. As they say: It's good to travel. :D

- Jack

Added: Hmm .. now I'm starting to wonder how Vagabox might do in a different country, like Japan? :D
jayfisher

PreviousNext

Return to Tenkara Flies