Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

The story of Vagabox... the traveling Tenkara fly box.

Your experiments and findings on tenkara fly-patterns and fly-tying.

Re: The story of Vagabox... the traveling Tenkara fly box.

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:45 pm

Ryan, that could possibly be fun, especially in the olden days where things got stamped with where they came from and it was easy.

By the way, I started incorporating comments from here into that map. So, I built some text and links onto the Colorado leg of the Vagabox trip. That will be a live map.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby achilles38 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:54 pm

If the Vagabox does keep traveling into next year, I would love to have a chance to fish with the Vagabox. I have a bunch of local mountain creeks and small lakes that have tons of wild hybrid trout, some native trout, as well as browns and rainbow stockers. I'd love to put my small piece in the story of Vagabox, but I'd be even more excited to just sit on the side of a local creek (Horse Feathers music playing in the background) and read the log and see the flies; imagining the fish they've caught, the waters they've seen, and the great fishermen that have graced their tenkara rods with those flies.

Patiently hoping it will keep going, :D

Jeremy
Jeremy
achilles38

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:10 pm

Quick update: Had tons of fun with the Vagabox today.
Thought it would turn out to be a difficult day with a slow start and then I figured out what they wanted: a slow presentation of the fly or pausing the fly and drifting.

So, how did the Vagabox do?
Let me start by saying this, I created a rule for myself with the Vagabox. Remember how I say I'm a one-fly guy, and that "one-fly" really means "any fly".
So, I will catch one fish per fly and change it. A fish is considered caught when landed.

Today in approximately an hour and half of fishing time I had after landing in Bozeman, I landed 12 fish with exactly as many flies. I tried a couple of small nymphs, soft-hackles and sakasa flies, and a couple of dries - but nothing too heavy today. I really tried to cover my ground with flies. Before people think it was easy fishing, it was not. I had with me a good friend and relatively experienced fisherman. He tried a few of the same flies as I did (actually after switching flies I would pass the used fly to him). He fished equally hard and for the same time with 4 fish landed. It turns out it was all in the presentation today: a slow presentation or pause with a chance for the fish to take the fly was the key. The water was cold and the fish seemed letargic.
I will post more on this and pictures of the flies and fish when I get a chance in the next few days (hopefully tomorrow). BUT, just something to think about: the fly does not matter.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby tsegelke » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:42 pm

I like the twist to the idea of one fly can work in all situations. Replace this with the presentation of the food is what the fish are keying on, and not the pattern.

I like it. I think this can explain why one fisherman can and does catch more fish than the one fishing next to him while using the same fly.

I will have to try this idea myself.
tsegelke

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:36 am

Can't really sleep...it'll be a tough day tomorrow if I don't hit the hay soon. But, decided to go through a few pictures.

My pictures didn't turn out great. But I will post more tomorrow and hopefully will have more to add.

By the way, what do you guys think if all future fly contributions to the box are barbless hooks or crimped barbs only? I had issues twice today removing the hook from fish. I think it would be real nice if they were easy to take off a fish's mouth after we catch them.
Any thoughts?
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby acheateaux » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:22 pm

Daniel @ Tenkara USA wrote:Image

By the way, what do you guys think if all future fly contributions to the box are barbless hooks or crimped barbs only? I had issues twice today removing the hook from fish. I think it would be real nice if they were easy to take off a fish's mouth after we catch them.
Any thoughts?

Beautiful fish. Glad to see it getting a workout.

I'm all for all barbless, in fact, it's how I usually tie. But it is always the way I tie on, as I seldom buy barbless hooks. I crimp and sometimes the barb can come back up. So it's part of my ritual.

I say crimp em' all down if I haven't and any new additions be barbless.
acheateaux

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:42 pm

The Vagabox has helped me carry more stuff the other day. And, I caught a few nice fish. 15 flies used to date, 15 fish landed. May use it again tomorrow before sending it off, we'll see.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby jayfisher » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:21 am

Daniel,

That brown in the last pic is a beauty. I'm vicariously enjoying the adventure of the Vagabox. (And FWIW, as just one member following the Vagabox journey, my vote would be to crimp down the barbs.)

Thanks for the continuing reports. I'm really enjoying how many different individuals are combining their creativity to contribute to an experiment that's new and unique in a dozen different ways.

- Jack
jayfisher

Postby SamEureka » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:23 am

Achateaux,

If you are willing to let the Vagabox travel into the new year, I'd love to take it into Shenandoah National Park to experience some of my favorite rivers and runs and meet some of my Brook Trout friends. January and February are my favorite months in SNP but I'll also be fishing there in December if there is one last late December slot. :-)

Awesome idea for sure!!!

//Sam
Virginia Beach, VA
><))))°>
SamEureka

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:54 pm

Sent the box over to Anthony in PA today.
Had a blast with it, maybe I'll get to visit with the Vagabox again!

Anthony, if you have some type of clear coat, it may be a good idea to apply to the sketch. It started coming off. I traced it from the inside. I wanted to apply a clear coat on it yesterday but the spray can nozzle actually broke when I opened it. The ink was coming off when I started using it and I'd hate to see that go.

Enjoy it! And, don't forget to post a short blurb that I can add to the interactive map. Maybe put something in quotes that I can pick up. I think it would be fun to do it in first-person as if the Vagabox is telling the story.
http://goo.gl/maps/XyOK
Attachments
IMG_0707b.jpg
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Tenkara Flies