Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

The story of Vagabox... the traveling Tenkara fly box.

Your experiments and findings on tenkara fly-patterns and fly-tying.

Re: The story of Vagabox... the traveling Tenkara fly box.

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:02 pm

Hey guys,
A post on the Vagabox will go up tomorrow. I think it's real cool.
I just created an interactive map that will follow the Vagabox journey. Check it out tomorrow.
Our blog posts will start going up at 6AM PST (9AM EST), so check it out tomorrow morning.

And, hope you guys don't mind, but I'll be pulling content from here to populate the interactive map. It looks real fun.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby jayfisher » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:21 am

Daniel,

Thank you for being innovative. In addition to bringing East and West closer, this uses media in real time to bring us together over fly fishing. It's community building. And, like you said, it's fun!

I meant it when I said this borders on performance art. There are experimental projects, for example funded on Kickstarter. For instance, "Postcards from Nowhere." (I don't mean to say that Vagabox is going "nowhere.")
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1557211754/postcards-from-nowhere

- Jack
jayfisher

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:44 am

The post on the Vagabox is up. http://www.tenkarausa.com/blog/?p=2903
You'll see there is an interactive map where you can read the story of the Vagabox.
I think it will be very neat to populate the story in a fun way with a paragraph or two and maybe a photo or two of everywhere it has been. This way we get to follow along.

So, would you guys mind submitting a short paragraph or two when of you have the box for me to include in the map?
The paragraph should be in the first person, and I'm thinking kind of funny, put yourself in the shoes of a vagabox and let us know where you are, have been, are going and experienced.

Looking forward to filling in that map!
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby Paul_Vertrees » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:56 am

How long are you going to let this go on? I'll sign up, but because it's booked up through December I'd love to have it in February 2013.
Paul Vertrees
Tenkara Guide
RIGS Fly Shop and Guide Service
Ridgway, CO
Paul_Vertrees

Postby acheateaux » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:55 am

I guess I've been putting this off long enough. Having a new baby girl coupled with being a firefighter here in Colorado sure does eat up the free time...

It's definitely been fun seeing something like this take off. part of what I love about forums like this is the fact that we aren't hiding behind keyboards and interacting with each other through swaps, Vagabox and meetups... Good stuff.

Here's a shot before I drank to much whiskey and got bored with a marker...

Getting a slow start on Vagabox for me meant I had to hit it hard. I hit up the Colorado for some browns and rainbows, wayyyyyyyy upper bear creek for some cutties and other super secret squirrel spots. I had a ton of fun just trying to fish ridiculous stuff. Egg patterns in May, glow in the dark patterns on full moon nights. Anything goes, just fish it...

I'm lucky enough to live in Evergreen, Colorado. We have an amazing resource for a fly shop here (Pat Dorsey's Blue Quill Angler) and some awesome water all within an hour. (Upper and Lower Bear Creek, Clear Creek, Cheeseman Canyon, Deckers, etc...) Living this close to world class waters usually means I'm playing the "I can go here, or here, or here, or here..." game most days. It's always easy to get a line wet for an hour or so any morning/evening. The downside is you have to do it places like this...

So Vagabox got a workout in on some fun, thin water. It caught stuff like this...

Oh wait, that's a sleeping baby. She wasn't really into the fact that that was her first time fishing AND it was with Vagabox. Women, go figure...

A few parting shots...

I pulled a 14" bow' out of the spot where Vagabox is laying by bouncing a SK off the rock a couple times... Love it...

Well, that's all I got's for now. Treat Vagabox well and enjoy your time with it. They leave us far to quickly...
acheateaux

Postby acheateaux » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:58 am

Paul_Vertrees wrote:How long are you going to let this go on? I'll sign up, but because it's booked up through December I'd love to have it in February 2013.

I wouldn't mind just keeping it going into next year. I also wouldn't mind getting it back at some point to fish it some more, read the journal, etc...

How about this. Until it's agreed upon otherwise, I will remain the protector of Vagabox. Well, maybe more like it's sidekick. I see no reason that we can't keep it going forever. We'll just need to figure out space at some point...

Daniel @ Tenkara USA wrote:And, hope you guys don't mind, but I'll be pulling content from here to populate the interactive map. It looks real fun.

Awesome work. How can I embed the map into the first post?
acheateaux

Postby RyanH » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:18 pm

How is the Vagabox being shipped? USPS Priority or someother method?
RyanH

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:39 pm

Achateaux (and anyone else really), please, do feel free to embed the map wherever you wish.
To embed it, you can visit the map's URL and click on the link icon (left side of page) to get the embed code and customize it http://goo.gl/maps/Xccf

Or

Here's the embed code set to 670 px to 350 (if you need a different size you can just replace the numbers 670 and 350 with other pixel sizes:

<iframe width="670" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&amp;msid=205193177841314699439.0004c422854884c726478&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;t=h&amp;ll=41.112469,-97.558594&amp;spn=23.136281,58.886719&amp;z=4&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small>View <a href="http://www.tenkarausa.com/blog/?p=2903" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">The Tale of the Vagabox</a></small>

The box came to me in a USPS Priority mail package. I don't have it with me anymore, but I believe it may have been the free Small USPS Flat Rate pack, Priority Mail.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:44 pm

And, Achateaux, I love the idea of seeing the box going around and around for a pretty long time.
Maybe whenever the book gets full the person that has it will have the responsibility of shipping you the journal back so you're the official keeper of the tale of the Vagabox. And, that person could start a new journal that will get sent to him at the end?
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby RyanH » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:20 pm

That sounds like a great idea Daniel!

I was just curious if we had to try to keep it in the original shipping box lol. That's great that we don't have too
RyanH

PreviousNext

Return to Tenkara Flies