Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

I did it again

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

I did it again

Postby Wupperfischer » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:34 pm

Second day on the river with my new Tenkara USA rods. At the other bank is a nice circle current in which a can spot some very nice chubs. The problem is that the bank is quiet far away and in the middle of the river is a very hard and deep current. No risk, no fun. I wade into the river, the water in nearly swalling into my waders. With a very long arm and a 5 feet tippet i can reach the other side. Rod high that the current can't attak the fly and .... nothing happens. Second try. One chub turns around and the fly is in its huge mouth. The fight begins. 4 minutes later is the chub in my hands. A little bit longer than the fish i caught yesterday.

Wupperfischer

Re: I did it again

Postby ConorUK » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:45 pm

Wow! Great results!
I was about to comment on your first fish, but now you produce an even better one and by the sounds of it taking some risks to do so. Chub are heavy fish and with huge power in acceleration in short spurts especially the after the first moments. The fact you have not broken the rod gives me more confidence that i could tackle a rogue salmon or sea trout on my own stream should they decide to play! Indeed come Septemeber the trout season ends on one part of the river and i migrate a few 100meters south to the winter stretch for grayling, but there are also chub there and i would love to hook one!
Have you ever read The Adaptable Flyfisher, Wild Trout and Coarse Fish on Fly by Lou Stevens? There are some good observations of fly fishing for chub in it.
Conor
ConorUK

Re: I did it again

Postby rsetina » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:15 pm

Wupperfischer,

Nice fish! I wouldn't even try to hook a fish that big with my Ayu but now I might think about it. Saturday will be my first trip using my Tenkara rod and I have to say I'm pretty excited to give it a go. What rod are you using to fish for the chub? I'm a little apprehensive about hooking into a big fish with no line for him to run with, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Return to Your Tenkara Experience