Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Always looking to learn

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Always looking to learn

Postby fflutterffly » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:58 pm

I have read your site notes and find nothing about the 'weight' of the rods. Are they not 2#, 5#, 00#? Do you match a line to the flex? Is the tippet matched? I will be coming from conventional fly-fishing using as little as a 2#, Can I utilize any of my lines?

I am very interested in this minimal equipment fly fishing. Please point me in the right direction.

Thank you.
fflutterffly

Re: Always looking to learn

Postby grampa » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:42 pm

The style is so minimal you don't need a fly line at all! :o

You can use either a straight piece of mono (I think someone mention 20# test), or better, check the Tenkara home page, and click through to the "Lines" page. There you can get very nice furled lines that cast very well indeed with a Tenkara rod.

Leaders are likewise very simple - a length of tippet material. Period.

I think you'll enjoy this style very much!
grampa

Postby CM_Stewart » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:00 pm

fflutterffly,

Tenkara rods don't carry line weight ratings like a regular fly rod. As you know, fly rod weight ratings are based on the weight of 30 feet of flyline. Tenkara lines are much shorter and very much lighter. The lines that TenkaraUSA sells are 10 1/2 feet long, and are essentially very long furled leaders that are matched to the rods. Even though the action of the different rods varies tremendously, from the relatively stiff Yamame to the relatively soft Iwana and Ayu, they can all cast the same line very effectively. For each rod, the last few sections are very flexible, and will "load" with an extremely light line. For each rod, tippet of 5x to 7x is recommended (I've never used 7x myself).

You will not be able to use your existing fly lines. They are too long, and even if you were willing to cut one down to the right length, it would still be too heavy. A tenkara "line" is really just a leader. And although you can use level line as grampa suggested, you'll probably find the furled lines easier to cast.

grampa,

For level lines, 20# test is way too heavy. I've used 14# test mono, and both 10 and 15# test fluorocarbon. The 15# test fluorocarbon is too heavy, and I think the 10# may be heavier than necessary. Similarly, you could probably cast a lighter mono line that 14# (at least with the shorter Iwana) but I haven't tried it.
CM_Stewart

Postby rsetina » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:28 pm

Welcome to the board flutterfly! Nice to see you here! I bought Sherry and myself rods and I'm heading to the WF on Saturday with Eric. I took it to the park today for lunch and we had a great time casting. :lol:

I'll post a report here and on the other sites Sunday morning. You're welcome to come along if you have a bike. We'll be there around 5:30AM.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Return to Your Tenkara Experience