Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

northern nevada brookies

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

northern nevada brookies

Postby statikpunk » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:40 am

Fianlly fiinally! I mananged to catch something on my tenkara rod. I had a heck of a time getting anything in the very early spring, and because of a very cold spring, our snow up in the mountains didn't start melting until a couple weeks ago, so blown out creeks and mud slides have kept me from where I truly wanted to give my 12 foot Iwana a try.
the creeks are still running a little fast for flies but the beaver ponds in the ruby mountain wilderness are of northern nevada are perfect for ambushing brookies!
anyway here are some pictures I took of the trip

Here it is! my very first fish on my tenkara rod. its not big but it was followed by about 30 more over the next few hours...so no complaints here :)

here is the average size i was catching. and if you look really close you will see a personally tied Ishigaki kebari sticking out of its mouth. (simple white household thread and a little reverse brown hackle) I tried a couple different colors but the white thread really seemed it make em nuts.

another benefit of tenkara is the extreme silence in which you can fish, this big fella swam by me several times, and at one point got so close that he actually splashed me when he went under water. you can bet he wouldnt have ventured that close if i had had a buzzing fly reel.

and a simple passtime deserves simple transportation, to get to the creek, this is something else that wouldnt be as easy, even with a 5 or more piece fly rod.
if you look close you can just see the tip of my Iwana and the handle of my net sticking out of the saddle bag of my motorcycle.

anyway I had a great time with my new rod, and I cant wait to actually hit the creeks when they slow down a little :)
RODS: Ito&
Iwana I/II 12ft & 9ft
Amago
statikpunk

Re: northern nevada brookies

Postby statikpunk » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:50 am

here is a better picture of the Ishigaki Kebari i tied, and was so happy to have been successful with :)
Iwana I/II 12ft & 9ft
Amago
statikpunk

Postby rsetina » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:10 pm

Nice report! Thanks for sharing the time you spend on the water with us. Sherry and I fished Pyramid in the spring. How far are you from Reno and Sparks?
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby statikpunk » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:16 pm

I am about 4 and a half hours from Reno, my home town is right smack in the middle of Reno and Salt Lake city.
Iwana I/II 12ft & 9ft
Amago
statikpunk

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:39 pm

Alright!!! Glad to see the fish have woken up. It's much tougher when the water gets very cold. Happy the first fish on the tenkara rod was followed up by 30 more and on the tenkara fly at that! Trust me, this will become more the norm as you fish more often and gain confidence that the fly and the gear work!
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby statikpunk » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:18 am

agreed! an interesting side note on the subject of technique over fly selection. i had a few instances of the fish refusing my fly. generally that would make me change flys, but since i was determined to stick whith one fly. i tried the bobbing technique that has been demonstrated and that also didnt seem to excite them, but then i found that a nice steady drawing of the fly away from their face was just to much for them to resist. :)
Iwana I/II 12ft & 9ft
Amago
statikpunk

Postby agglutination » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:14 am

Wait, you used skill and patience instead of more gear? weird :shock:
agglutination

Postby statikpunk » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:07 am

agglutination wrote:Wait, you used skill and patience instead of more gear? weird :shock:

yeah! heh its a revelation! :)
Iwana I/II 12ft & 9ft
Amago
statikpunk

Return to Your Tenkara Experience