Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

What Tenkara has brought into my life

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

What Tenkara has brought into my life

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:25 pm

With the holidays fast approaching and coming many new owners of tenkara rods, many new folks will join this group, as well as many folks buying tenkara rods as holiday gifts during Black Friday, I started thinking how Tenkara has changed my life.

In 2009 I started reading about tenkara... in March of 2010 purchased my 1st rod from Tenkara USA (an Iwana with some Ishigaki kebari), and then started working for Tenkara USA in May of 2011. I went from being an IT professional to a student of tenkara to working for this neat young company that introduced tenkara to the world outside of Japan.

Now it is almost 10 years since hoping on this tenkara fun bus and I have never looked back. Tenkara has brought into my life many new friends. Some co-workers…. Some customers…. Some business partners…. Some even family. Tenkara stretches out and has become a main focus in my life, both personally and professsionally.

I love the people I have met along the way and found with tenkara, I have become a more outdoorsy person than I had been before. I was already a camper and enjoyed the outdoors, but tenkara has taken me places I probably would never have went.

I am so thankful for what tenkara has brought to my life. Here is a small sampling of pictures. From fish to customers to folks I meet at trade shows to co-workers. From pets watching me fish to getting out with my wife to camp more in the great outdoors. Tenkara has help bring all this into my life. That even includes some peace and quiet... sitting next to a stream contemplating life and loves.

Tenkara sas also introduced me more to the culture in Japan along with many other countries as folks fishing tenkara come from all parts of the world!

Hopefully tenkara will bring this to many new people come this holiday season!

* feel free to add our tenkara story...

** Some pictures will appear sideways or upside down but once clicked they appear fine. Weird snafu but not sure why it has done that. ;-)
Attachments
TUSAcampout.jpg
TUSATradeShows.jpg
TUSAcoworkers.JPG
TUSAandPets.JPG
TUSAquiettime.jpg
TUSAandFamilies.jpg
TUSAHeritageTrout.jpg
TUSABrownTrout.jpg
TUSAShioyaki.jpg
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Re: What Tenkara has brought into my life

Postby dwalker » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:24 pm

Geez TJ, you got off to a good start - then went all topsy turvy and stuff. ;)

Actually, good post. It's good to remember to be thankful for the little activities we do each day that we too often take for granted that we will still be able to still do them tomorrow, sometimes something happens and we can no longer do them. It is important to appreciate at the end of the day, week, year - all those little activities and interactions add up to a lot of the enjoyment of , well, living. And be appreciative we were able to do them. :)

I liked the "Kilroy was here" pic at the top, and am still pondering why the fish pics and you and John were the only ones upright. And everyone else on the spin-a-tron. Random chance? Or some inside joke? :?

Surprisingly even I have learned a little bit about Japanese culture along the way too. However, tenkara fishing, for the first time since 2010, was mostly a no show for me this summer. Wettest summer I can remember. I was rained in and out of the river more often than not this year. May ~ October got washed away by April showers. Then snow flakes showed up a month early. Lucky me I also have other interest that kept me entertained. :)
David
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Re: What Tenkara has brought into my life

Postby dpnoll » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:05 am

TJ,
Nice article. Reflecting back on my Tenkara journey the thing that sticks out the most are the people I have met and become friends with. It seems that wherever I go I run into someone who is into Tenkara or I am introducing people to it. In Chile the guide said "5x tippet will not work on these fish." It did and he was happy for me. In Spain the guide Spain the guide said " You can't cast far enough, it will be hard to catch fish." Well, 60 fish later he was a very happy guide.
At the MWTF and Oni Schools I have made friends from all over the World and whenever I travel I have friends to fish with. I guess I can say "Thank you Daniel for getting me started on this trip."
See you sometime, somewhere.
dpnoll

Return to Your Tenkara Experience