****The tenkara forum will now use a separate login from the rest of the site. If you are an existing forum user, you may need to confirm or possibly create a new account. We will have limited support for the forum.****

Sunfish on Presque Isle

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Sunfish on Presque Isle

Postby dtgbuettner » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:31 am

After 10 years of western-style flyfishing experience, I am thoroughly impressed (and equally elated by) tenkara's simplicity and grace. I have never owned a flyrod that can present a fly as delicately as my 12' Iwana. I decided to test it for the first time on Presque Isle Bay in certain spots to see if I could drum up some bluegill and pumpkin seeds. I was using the traditional tenkara line, 6x tippet, and a simple fly with a hurl body and grizzly hackle (similar to a wooly worm or an old english wetfly - if I had to choose a "one fly", this would be it and probably will be). I couldn't believe the rod's sensitivity on each strike and fighting the fish was an exciting challenge (I get three times the fight out of a tenkara rod than my heavy 9' lake flyrod). I am now totally hooked on tenkara fishing. It was one of the funnest experiences I've had fishing in a long time. I hope to take my rod up to the Alleghenys for some native brook trout fishing within the next few days.
dtgbuettner

Re: Sunfish on Presque Isle

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:51 am

Thanks for the comments. Your comments, and the experience of all tenkara anglers here, make me very happy and brighten up the day!
Hope you get many more of these experiences out of tenkara.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Return to Your Tenkara Experience