Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

South Central Pennsylvania Tenkara

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

South Central Pennsylvania Tenkara

Postby Gilljr@comcat.net » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:34 am

This past summer I found Tenkara. I’ve wanted to explore fly fishing for fifteen years. When I finally decided to start researching rods, I discovered the Tenkara style rods to be incredibly fascinating, so I bought one. I put it into service on one of the many lakes in the area while vacationing in the Poconos in Pennsylvania. I never would have thought fishing could be so much fun and simple. I caught many panfish as well as bass on those lakes. Fast forward. Seven rods later and I’m into catching trout. Now, i’m A gear junkie by definition. Getting into hobbies and heavily, is what i’m known for. BUT, I am certainly incredibly particular about my equipment no matter what the hobby is. I started out buying rods from other popular companies but always wanted some from Tenkarausa. Recently, I bought the Ito and Iwanna. While the original rods I was fishing certainly fished ok, the fit and finish was sub par in my opinion especially considering their cost. The rods I recently acquired from Tenkarausa are flawless. I only wish I would have started there. To some folks it may not matter much, but to me quality is everything. I am in fact a Quality Assurance Inspector. I don’t see myself getting out of this sport, ever. I plan on using Tenkarausa equipment going forward almost exclusively due to such high quality standards. By the way, the Ito... I thought, when I bought my first 8’6” rod that 10’6” was going to be difficult to fish. I thought 12’ was going to be hard to use on these North East streams, I certainly thought the Ito’s length would be a hinderance as well. I couldn’t have been more wrong. The Ito is now my favorite rod and handles 10” - 12” rainbows like it was meant for them. I’m looking forward to contributing more to this sport.
Gilljr@comcat.net

Re: South Central Pennsylvania Tenkara

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:23 pm

Thank you for posting here and joining the Tenkara USA forums. I hope you have continued good fortune with the Iwana and Ito. Glad they have worked well for you.

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Re: South Central Pennsylvania Tenkara

Postby Rob Ruff » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:46 am

It definitely is a fun way to fish! I too have accumulated several different lengths and types of rods since starting this journey.
Rob Ruff

Return to Your Tenkara Experience