****The tenkara forum will now use a separate login from the rest of the site. If you are an existing forum user, you may need to confirm or possibly create a new account. We will have limited support for the forum.****

Matilija Creek Re-visited

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Matilija Creek Re-visited

Postby rsetina » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:56 pm

Sherry and I picked up my sister Norann Saturday morning and headed to Matilija Creek again with hopes of reaching the falls this time, but the trail was undefined after 3+ miles and we decided not to make our own trail through the brush due to a report that a woman had been bitten by a rattlesnake the week before. We thought it better not to take a chance and turned around fishing the creek on the way back.

As for fishing, it was better than a few weeks ago. It could have been due to fewer people on the creek. I was able to fish more of the pools we saw the first time and other pools we hadn't reached the first time.

The water is so clear that unless the pools are very deep, and there are a few very deep pools, you can very easily see the bottom of the creek bed. But that means the fish can see you too so I'm learning more and more that a stealth approach is very important.

I caught this little guy in this pool, the first pool you come to along the trail. It's deep near the head of the pool and shallow enough at the tail out that I could fish nearly the whole pool from the outlet side by wading just past knee deep. I only had about 5 minutes to fish it until a group of teenagers showed up and in a way pushed me out of it. I knew there were other places to fish up creek and I also knew I'd have a chance to fish it on the way back, so reluctantly I left the pool to the swimmers. I guess that's the price you pay being able to fish creeks like this within hours of home.

This is one of the deep pools we found farther up the creek and there were fish rising from deep down next to the wall on the far side. You can see the canyon is pretty deep and I think it makes the hike so much more enjoyable.

On the way back I found a pool you couldn't see from the trail.

I'm so glad we decided to hike down the creek after loosing the trail to the falls or we might have missed it. There were several fish in this fairly deep hole and I was able to land several fish, one being the biggest fish I've caught on the two trips to this great little creek.

This pool held no fish but after looking at the photo I realized that it looks like the water comes from a tunnel up creek. It doesn't, but the illusion is still there and I thought it was pretty cool.

It seemed the canyon changed as we went farther up the creek. I found this rock wall interesting and took a picture of my sister Norann and Sherry standing next to it giving you an idea of how high the face of the wall is from the creek. What you don't see is Norann trying to pull a small rock from the wall and me telling her it might not be a good idea. I looked up at what was above us and said she might be pulling out a key piece of the puzzle and I didn't want people to read that three hikers where found under a pile of rock debris that fell 20 years ago. :lol:

Well that's all for now. Hope you liked the post of our little trip. Until next time, good angling to all.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Re: Matilija Creek Re-visited

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:26 am

Looks like a pretty hike too, I love the rocks in those pictures. The fishing looks like fun too.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby blatt1970 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:38 am

:shock:
WOW³ !!!
blatt1970

Postby rsetina » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:44 pm

It's a very nice hike Daniel. Only a 600' elevation over the 3 miles so we're near the water all te way up. Fish was good too. In one pool I cast four times and only the second cast didn't produce a fish.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Return to Your Tenkara Experience