****The tenkara forum will now use a separate login from the rest of the site. If you are an existing forum user, you may need to confirm or possibly create a new account. We will have limited support for the forum.****

So what do you think

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

So what do you think

Postby danku » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:03 am

Went back to a little stream I found awhile back. As far as I know this stream is off the maps. Very hard to get in and not stocked. The main population of fish should be Yamame. Iwana or two but I would find even that hard to believe. Fished from sun rise and crawed up stream for about seven hours. At the last nice pocket of water I got to I landed this little guy. Released unharmed. So the question is " what is it" I would have to say brown. What do you think?
what isit.jpg
what isit.jpg (87.84 KiB) Viewed 3832 times
Tenkara old timer
danku

Re: So what do you think

Postby Stephen McGowen » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:41 am

Hi Danku.....fascinating picture ! Looks like a brown trout but it appears that the mouth doesn't go past the eye. Might be some "cherry salmon" in the mix. Hybrids often occur and that's what you might have. It is a beauty whatever it is!
I enjoyed the stream photos in your previous also. Please keep posting.
Stephen McGowen

Postby erik.ostrander » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:04 pm

Young brown trout. Sometimes the young ones get the striping yours in the pictures has.
erik.ostrander

Postby danku » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:38 am

So I checked in to the area and local hacherys. To my suprise this stream was stocked many years back. Yes it was stocked with Browns no Rainbows. The stream did have a native Yamame population. You think that there could be a hybrid of sorts? :shock:
Tenkara old timer
danku

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:22 am

Very interesting fish, thanks for the picture and puzzle.
I'd also venture to guess it's a hybrid. I'm not a fish expert at all, but the head shape is a bit unusual, as is the combination of spots. Plus, given that there are both fish in your waters, I'd imagine it is.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Return to Your Tenkara Experience