Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

n00b in Boulder

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

n00b in Boulder

Postby Fueco » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:45 pm

So, I fished a fair amount in high school, 24+ years ago... I always wanted to get into fly fishing, but was always turned off by the amount of gear involved.

I first heard of tenkara from an account by Yvon Chouinard in one of the Patagonia catalogs a few years ago. I was intrigued, but didn't have any good streams to fish near home. Once I moved to Boulder, CO; that just had to change.

I have a tenkara rod (from another manufacturer), and an assortment of flies and other necessities (from Tenkara USA). I live about 2/3 of a mile from Boulder Creek, and have been hitting up the local holes for a few weeks now. But I really would much rather be up in the mountains.

So today, I went for a nice trail run and then headed down to the creek to cool my legs off and throw some flies at fish. I caught my first fish in 20+ years. I think I'm more hooked than the fish were! I'll have to try some bigger holes for some bigger fish.

1.jpg

2.jpg
Fueco

Re: n00b in Boulder

Postby outdoor.mne » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:48 am

Bravo!!!
Nice story, nice fishing...

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
outdoor.mne

Postby shobatta » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:52 pm

That's a fine little fellow...I sometimes think catching the smaller ones is more fun than the medium sized ones...
shobatta

Postby steve_boulder » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:42 pm

Whilst waiting to start my Meals on Wheels delivery last Monday, I stood on the high banks above the creek near Boulder Library, and just watched (for a change). Behind several large rocks, I could see trout finning in the eddies. It's amazing to have fishable waters running right through town!
Ebisu - 12'
Ito - 13' to 14'-7"
Shimotsuke Kiyotaki 27 - 8'-10"
steve_boulder

Postby erocafellar » Thu May 11, 2017 9:06 am

I'm a pretty much a total beginner...just started 2 years ago. Your fish looks like the size of the one's I have been catching.

I have been fishing on Clear Creek at the bottom of Floyd Hill, where I-70 hits Highway 6. It's close enough to Denver that I can get there quick, but it feels like you are deep in the mountains. I like it because I can go out and practice for a few hours without having to commit an entire day of driving around.
erocafellar

Postby tsegelke » Sat May 13, 2017 2:12 pm

Your hooked now. Nice fish. Welcome to the addiction.
:D
tsegelke

Postby Fueco » Fri May 26, 2017 10:16 am

Yep... I just strung together two new lines to replace the two I lost last time out.

I've now caught 13 fish this season, and am hopefully going to get for a bit this weekend.
Fueco

Postby Fueco » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:41 pm

A few recent fish caught on my Rhodo...

Rainbow Trout from North St Vrain Creek above Lyons, CO (this is my biggest fish of the season):

rainbow.jpg

Brookie from the Middle Fork of Boulder Creek a ways above Nederland, CO:

brookie.jpg

Brown Trout from Glacier Creek in Rocky Mountain National Park. Man was it cold standing in the creek in Tevas while a light snow was falling and temps were in the upper 30s!

RMNP-brownie.jpg
Fueco

Postby RBourland » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:29 pm

Also a n00b, I too just discovered Tenkara. While visiting our daughter and family in Rapid City, SD this week, I took a day to fish with a guide from the local fly shop, Dakota Anglers. David (guide) introduced me to Tenkara at the tail end of our outing. We were fishing Rapid Creek just below Canyon Lake, a great hole, full of browns and bows. I have been fly fishing for seven years and now I was introduced to an age old fly fishing method that was simple and successful. When I got back to the kids’ house, I immediately went onto iBooks and bought Daniels’ book and started to dig into this ancient method of fly fishing. It looks like a great way to introduce my grandson to fly fishing in a few years. I returned to the shop the next day and picked up an Amago rod and the few other essentials. We are returning to CO this week and I can’t wait to get out and try my new rod on my favorite pools and runs.
Love the tug,
RdB
RBourland

Postby Fueco » Wed May 02, 2018 9:00 pm

I got out into Eldorado Canyon briefly this afternoon, and caught this beautiful little brown. The perfect #birthdayfish, and #51 (12th trout) of the season so far.

fish.jpg
Fueco

Return to Your Tenkara Experience