****The tenkara forum will now use a separate login from the rest of the site. If you are an existing forum user, you may need to confirm or possibly create a new account. We will have limited support for the forum.****

A little advice wanted

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

A little advice wanted

Postby maddyw » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:43 pm

I primarily fished with lures before I got my 12' Iwana. When I would fish with lures in the local rivers and streams I would catch lots of smallmouth bass, rock bass, and sunfish. With my tenkara I have not been able to catch anything except for a few creek chubs. I have tried dry flies, nmphs, wet flies, and different presentations, but the fish just do not come after a fly like they did a rebel crayfish.
I did buy the rod primarily for trying to catch trout when I visit Michigan and West Virginia(I live in Ohio) but if I can not catch smallmouth(a fairly un-picky fish) I do not know how I will catch any trout. Does anyone have any suggestions or help on what I can do to entice fish?
Last edited by maddyw on Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
maddyw

Re: Help me please

Postby grampa » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:39 pm

You want to try flies that represent foods small mouth, etc, eat - like crawfish patterns, hellagramite patterns, minnow patterns, etc.

Personally, I'd start with a wooly bugger (cuz I have a couple in my fly box, and cuz they can represent a hellagamite or a crawfish, depending on colors). A muddler minnow for the crawfish loving bass; and some streamers for the minnow crew.

You might also want to check with any fly fishing clubs or forums in your area - there's bound to be someone who has just the fly that's good medicine for your fish!
grampa

Re: A little advice wanted

Postby Softouch333 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:09 pm

You can certainly catch smallmouth with tenkara rods. First remember with the shorter reach of the tenkara vs your spinner, keep your profile low and your cast quiet. Try a longer fluorocarbon level line too. Second, as grampa says you need to fish with a different lure. You can pick up smallmouth on a nymph if heavily weighted, but you have to be able to get it down to that bottom six inches. Next try a popper or slider. Put it in a grass opening or a plunge eddy. Third, fish a wooly bugger below a riffle and let 'er swing cross current. Warm water species are generally more attuned to movement in my you view and you need to be bottom bouncing, popping, or swinging, all of which you can do with a tenkara rod. Keep that line tight.
Softouch333

Postby maddyw » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:44 pm

Thanks for the help everyone. I will get a chance to fish next week and we'll see how it goes. By the way, the stream I am fishing is only about 13 feet across at the widest, it is a typical SE Ohio stream- sandy with small rocks, lots of turns and medium cover. An enormous fish is 9 inches. I am sure one day I'll fool one off those smallies, they can't ignore me forever ;)
maddyw

Postby wrknapp » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:47 pm

I have landed similar size smallies in similar water here in Virginia with size 12 black woolly buggers. Olive would probably also work. These can be tied weighted or just use a 1/8" beadhead. I just pulse them along the bottom with my Ayu.

Randy
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Return to Your Tenkara Experience