****The tenkara forum will now use a separate login from the rest of the site. If you are an existing forum user, you may need to confirm or possibly create a new account. We will have limited support for the forum.****

HOW BIG?

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

HOW BIG?

Postby blatt1970 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:17 am

:D
Hi from Brazil...
Last weekend i went to fish some tambaquis (Colossoma macropomum), a fish of the pirana family
tha feed on fruit an insects.
They grow up to 50 pounds but these i went after where baby ones wehgthing no more tha 1 1/2 pound...
Perhaps small i've lost 8 flies due to tippet breakage (4X), the fight never last more than 5 seconds, i was using my 11' iwana...
My friend was using a 2 wt western fly rod and landed 4 or 5 of them...
Question: Have i gone too far with my iwana? :mrgreen:
Attachments
DSCN0776b.jpg
Tambaqui (Colossoma macropomum)
DSCN0776b.jpg (208.54 KiB) Viewed 6153 times
blatt1970

Re: HOW BIG?

Postby rsetina » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:06 pm

1 1/2 pounds is a big fish for an inwana and maybe pushing the limit just a bit, in my opinion. Though I've seen pretty big bass caught on a tenkara rod. But using 4X could put your tip in jeapordy. That would be my only worry is the tippet. Perhaps you could add a short section of larger tippet in front of the 5X which would prevent the fish from breaking you off but still protect the rod tip.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby sholgate » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:21 pm

blatt1970 wrote::D

Question: Have i gone too far with my iwana? :mrgreen:

NEVER! No actually, the more I fish with it the more I think it could be used for almost anything.
Steven Holgate
West Lawn, PA

Teacher and Trout Bum
sholgate

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:54 pm

While it can be used for the larger fish, I'd say it may be pushing it a bit. And, when targeting larger fish, I'd definitely recommend 5X tippet or less! While one may use other tippet if targeting small fish, the tippet should be the weaker point when targeting larger ones. The tip of the rod will help protect the tippet very well, but ideally you want to have the option to breaking the tippet off without putting a huge amount of stress on the rods. There is even the account of a 8-10lbs salmon being caught on the Iwana, but the rods are just not designed for that, especially the Iwana.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby blatt1970 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:17 pm

Thanks to all!
Well, actually, at first, i thought the problem was the guy behind the cork, me! :mrgreen:
But tambaquis are massive swimming bulls. The only thing subtle in them is the way they take a fly, after that, is like hooking a truck's bumper going downhill!
I guess with an ayu or the amago this will not happen cause they are stronger and have more leverage. The iwana is just too short and light for this fish!
Last edited by blatt1970 on Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blatt1970

Postby rsetina » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:29 pm

blatt1970 wrote::D
Thanks to all!
Well, actually, at first, i thought the problem was the guy behind the cork, me! :mrgreen:
But tambaquis are massive swimming bulls. The only thing subtle in them is the way they take a fly, after that, is like hooking a truck's bumper going downhill!
I guess with an ayu or the amago this will not happen cause they are stronger and have more leverage. The iwana is just too short and light for this fish!

I think you still need to be careful even with the stiffer rods since, from my understanding, they all have pretty much the same tips. Very light action and thin so that they produce a very light feel in order to sense the fish taking the fly. I examined my Yamame and Iwana and they appear to have the same tip section. Am I correct Daniel? I don't claim to be an expert so perhaps you can correct me if I'm incorrect.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby CM_Stewart » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:50 am

blatt1970 wrote:I guess with an ayu or the amago this will not happen cause they are stronger and have more leverage. The iwana is just too short and light for this fish!

The Ayu is much longer, but just as light. The Amago has more backbone, but even that rod was not designed for stopping trucks going downhill. (Come to think of it, though, San Francisco IS very hilly, and no one REALLY knows how Daniel tests his rods. :lol: )
CM_Stewart

Postby b1gjoe23 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:44 am

I'm going to be fishing in brazil in a couple of week, i dont know what for, or what rivers, but i plan on bringing my yamame. any tips on what flies i should pick up?!
b1gjoe23

Postby blatt1970 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:42 pm

b1gjoe23, It will be a great pleasure to help you...
Do you know at least what estate/region are you going to visit?
"PM" me!
blatt1970

Return to Your Tenkara Experience