****The tenkara forum will now use a separate login from the rest of the site. If you are an existing forum user, you may need to confirm or possibly create a new account. We will have limited support for the forum.****

Groveland trip - washed out!

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Groveland trip - washed out!

Postby grampa » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:00 pm

Some of you may recall a trip last year about this time to a small creek near Groveland, CA.

I drove in there on Monday with my friend and fellow Tenkara enthusiast Jim, hoping to fish the necklace of pool after pool.

Here is what we found, looking upstream from the bridge:

And downstream:

With all snow melt moving through, we elected not to try these far from "cherry" waters!

BTW, the next person to go in there should carry a machete or similar tool to clear the trail of poison oak!
grampa

Re: Groveland trip - washed out!

Postby Davidpcvsamoa » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:57 pm

I was standing on the same bridge a month ago and there was way to much water to fish. The volume has only increased since then. Cherry Creek above Cherry lake is supposed to be some of the best white water kayaking around and I can see why.

This past weekend I went up 108 to Kennedy Meadows. The middle fork on the Stanislaus River was a torrent with what I thought was a lot of sediment for river in the Sierras. I was Completely unable to fish.
Davidpcvsamoa

Postby sholgate » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:53 pm

I know you are going to think I am crazy BUT in those situations it is worthy to check out the slack water along the edge and the new eddies. In high water trout still need to eat and they need a break from the strong current.

Just my $.02.
Steven Holgate
West Lawn, PA

Teacher and Trout Bum
sholgate

Postby rsetina » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:12 pm

Sorry to read you weren't able to fish it. That's alot of water and even though it might be productive to fish the edges sholgate, I don't think I'd chance taking a dip in water running that fast. Maybe I'm just more cautious than most.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby grampa » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:16 am

Steven, we thought very seriously about going down and fishing the edges. There are some nice little calm sections along the edges; easy to see in the downstream view, harder to see on the upstream. Three things held us back:

- the consequences of a slip or misstep;

- the fact that as soon as a hooked trout hit the mainstream, the leader would pop;

- and the impression that the trout didn't need more stress in such high water conditions.

Next time!
grampa

Return to Your Tenkara Experience