****The tenkara forum will now use a separate login from the rest of the site. If you are an existing forum user, you may need to confirm or possibly create a new account. We will have limited support for the forum.****

Tenkara... Kids... and Bluegill

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Tenkara... Kids... and Bluegill

Postby fishcranium » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:28 pm

I spent the first half of today helping with free fishing day at a local urban pond. We took the typical gear...snelled hooks, bobbers, worms, grubs, corn, power bait, marshmallows. Fishing was quite slow for the first few hours. By the third hour the kids had eaten most of the bait with the exception of corn. I remembered that my fishing gear was in the vehicle so I ran over and put together the rod. By the end of the day that little rod brought smiles to over two dozen children. No one got skunked, hooked, or wet so it was a good day. We caught well over 50 small bluegill, and about a half dozen each of trout and largemouth bass. All the kids want a fly rod now. At least 6 of the kids caught their first fish ever by sight fishing with a tenkara rod and a traditional fly. I think I may have set the bar too high.

You do not get many days like today.

P.S. I'm now out of flies again but the cattails at that little pond are well adorned.

Scott
A day spent fishing is better than a day spent (add any activity)
fishcranium

Re: Tenkara... Kids... and Bluegill

Postby Jay K » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:55 pm

fishcranium wrote:P.S. I'm now out of flies again but the cattails at that little pond are well adorned.

Great story - tenkara saved the day - awesome. Good thing tenkara flies are so easy (and cheap) to tie. Nice going, Scott.
Jay K

Postby sholgate » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:10 am

I had a similar experience with young boys scouts about 4 weeks ago. On ponds and small lakes there is no equal. :)
Steven Holgate
West Lawn, PA

Teacher and Trout Bum
sholgate

Postby pszy22 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:52 am

I had a bluegill revelation a few days back. I had a few minutes to kill, so I headed down to the local subdivision pond. I've been avoiding it, because it is almost a solid mass of aquatic growth. I thought all the algae would be problematic for fishing tenkara.

I was dead wrong. Of course tenkara was ideal for placing my #14 foam popper onto small salad plate sized openings in the weed mass. What was surprising, the long rod allow to get the fish up and over the weeds, rather than having to drag them thru the mire.

I must say these were smaller 7" gills, not those bowling ball sized monsters that regularly get posted here. I know my technique would not even budge those brutes. It did work great for the smaller fry though.
pszy22

Return to Your Tenkara Experience