****The tenkara forum will now use a separate login from the rest of the site. If you are an existing forum user, you may need to confirm or possibly create a new account. We will have limited support for the forum.****

An Amago Encore (Applaud)

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

An Amago Encore (Applaud)

Postby rvrgzr » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:36 am

Fished for awhile in the pond. The bluegills went for the dropper, which is common:

Caught some nice bluegills:

Then wondered what could the pond offer for an encore....

A bass this size on a Tenkara rod gives new meaning to the term "fun". Especially when you're expecting another bluegill.

NOTE: All the photos were reduced to the medium size (The size of the 1st photo.) I have know idea why the other pics ended up this large. Sorry.
rvrgzr

Re: An Amago Encore (Applaud)

Postby Jay K » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:13 pm

That bluegill still astounds me. Dinnerplate, man.
Jay K

Postby rsetina » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:03 pm

No kidding Jay. That's the biggest gill I've seen, other than the ones you've posted before. Very nice bass too.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby jdchaussee » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:16 am

having never caught a bluegill and seeing how you're pretty much the resident expert on them... Do they taste good? It seems like they would be similar to a largemouth bass.
-Justin C
<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
Tenkaraholic since 2009
Proud owner of:
Amago, Yamame, Ito
**Instagram: Tenkaraholic**
jdchaussee

Postby rvrgzr » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:39 am

jdchaussee wrote:having never caught a bluegill and seeing how you're pretty much the resident expert on them... Do they taste good? It seems like they would be similar to a largemouth bass.

"Bream" (bluegill, shell crackers, redears, etc.) are very tasty and have an almost sweet taste compared to a largemouth bass. Of course, the quality of the water and the fish's primary diet also make a big difference in the quality of the fish for the plate.

And a note about the size of the bluegills: the rumor that Lake Geezer has been stocked with the Mark McGwire strain of 'gills is unfounded! :lol:
rvrgzr

Return to Your Tenkara Experience