****The tenkara forum will now use a separate login from the rest of the site. If you are an existing forum user, you may need to confirm or possibly create a new account. We will have limited support for the forum.****

Fished the Provo today...Question about leader line tippet?

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Fished the Provo today...Question about leader line tippet?

Postby bennett » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:04 pm

Fished the lower Provo River in Utah county today since its within casting distance of my house.
I fish small mayfly's dry this afternoon and had a great time. I was asked 3 times where my reel was.. :lol:
I really like the Tenkara system but need some input on my leader and tippet.

I have the Amago 13 1/2 ft rod and was using a 10' tapered furled mono leader and about 6-7' feet of 6x tippet.
The rod cast's great and spot on but the 6x tippet just falls behind the cast. I really had no wind and wondered if I should just bag the furled leader and use a 12' taper leader and some extra 3-4' 6x tippet?
I like the line to lay down as I cast and found the furled leader maybe to heavy and overcomes the light tippet material?? ... so you better understand, I cast and the leader lays out fine in the direction but the 6 foot of tippet usually lands and comes down within a foot of the end of the furled leader. I didn't shorten the tippet but thought I'd ask what you guys do .. tippet is just not going where I want it to. I am using the tenkara supplied tippet material.

thanks
Last edited by bennett on Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bennett

Re: Fished the Prove today...Question about leader line tippet?

Postby CM_Stewart » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:25 pm

I have never tried to cast a dry fly with 6-7' of 6x tippet, but I would have been surprised if you didn't have a problem.

Assuming you want to stay with your 10' furled mono leader, I would recommend getting one spool each of 0x, 2x, and 4x and adding a three foot extension to your 10' leader, one foot each of the 0x, 2x, and 4x. Then use a 6x tippet of no more than 3'. If you have the Tenkara USA furled leader I would replace the probably 6" mono extender with the 3' one you just made. (And for anyone who fishes with an Ayu, I'd do the same thing).

Even if you bought a spool of the 4.5 level line so that you weren't limited to a 10' line length, I would probably want to add a taper of 0x, 2x, and 4x between the line and the tippet for when you fish dry flies. I know Dr. Ishigaki doesn't do it that way, but he fishes wet flies rather than dries, and I think the taper helps dries to turn over.
CM_Stewart

Re: Fished the Provo today...Question about leader line tippet?

Postby wrknapp » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:23 pm

I agree with Chris. I rarely go down to 5x as I usually fish Maxima leader material which allows me to fish up to 3x and still be at 5lb test. Even so, I frequently add a graduated tippet to my lines for better turnover. Experiment.

Randy
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Postby rsetina » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:33 pm

I haven't had a problem turning over dry flies and I use the Tenkara leaders and add 4 feet of 5X tippet. Every so often I do have the problem with the tippet bunching up near the leader end but not so often that it made me make a change. I just figure I made a bad cast, blaming the angler not the setup. That said, I have some leader making material in a frogs hair kit I bought some time ago and I'll try the formula you suggested and see if it makes a difference. I may be missing a better turnover when I fish dries. Thanks for the suggestion Chris.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby CM_Stewart » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:34 am

wrknapp wrote:I usually fish Maxima leader material which allows me to fish up to 3x and still be at 5lb test.

I'm pretty sure I've read that Maxima routinely breaks well above it's rated strength. If that indeed is true, 3x Maxima may really be like fishing 3x from anybody else. If you start breaking tips, it would be something to think about. Going to a spinning line rather than tippet material is something to consider. For example, 4lb test Stren is 4x, but I think the breaking strength is close to the stated 4lb.
CM_Stewart

Postby wrknapp » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:43 am

Tests of Maxima have not shown it's strength to be greater. Like Stren, it's 4x is 4lb and like Stren the beauty is in the abrasion resistence and line thickness per test pound. When you have a 5lb test 5x material compared to a 3x 5lb material, a small nick or abrasion in the smaller diameter line weakens it considerably. Likewise, a tied knot that has not been lubricated with water or saliva is much weaker in a smaller diameter tippet because of degradation from the heat and stress of friction when tightening. I use the larger diameter tippets in equal test strengths for this reason and the fact that I have found fish to be presentation shy and not leader shy. This may give the illusion that the larger diameter line is stronger but it is not. Unfortunately, I break tips on bushes and snags except for an exception or two when either the rod was flawed or I weakened it by scratches from brush or hitting it with the cast of a heavy beadhead or by highsticking. I have never had a fish break a rod simply because of its weight or strength being too great for the rod and not the tippet in any kind of fishing (not just tenkara).

Randy
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Postby erik.ostrander » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:42 am

My favorite setup for fishing the Lower with my Amago is a longer furled leader 13' to 15'. Buy your leader custom sized at Streamside Leaders. I do a tapered tippet of around 4'to 6' beginning at 3x and going to 5x or 6x if the fish are spooky.

Nice to see another Utah fan of Tenkara.
erik.ostrander

Return to Your Tenkara Experience