****The tenkara forum will now use a separate login from the rest of the site. If you are an existing forum user, you may need to confirm or possibly create a new account. We will have limited support for the forum.****

Fished a new Creek Today

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Fished a new Creek Today

Postby rsetina » Sun May 30, 2010 8:40 pm

After two weeks of waiting for the day to arrive we got up at 4:30 and headed to my sister Norann's house to meet up with her, her husband Mike, and my brother Ron. After a short drive to the trailhead we took off to see what trouble we could get into.

I think I'll call this creek, Flintstone Creek. I think Fred and Barney used to live up here with Betty and Wilma. :lol: I love the slab seating and they were really comfortable!

The beginning of the trip was a dirt road that lead to several private homes scattered along the way, until we came upon the main foot trail.

This was our first look at the river close up. The water level seemed a little low but as we walked up river the flows seemed to increase.

Alot of the creek was slow moving wide shallow pools but patient walking along the river produced larger pools and deeper sections with riffles that looked like promising areas that could hold fish.

I did manage to land this little guy and had two other fish on the hook but they came off just as quickly. In one large pool 2.5 miles up the river there were several larger fish that could be easily seen in the very clear water, but there were some swimmers there that started jumping in after they took a break for lunch so I didn't get much of a chance to fish it. I did get one of the fish to rise to a nymph that had just hit the water and in my excitement I think I pulled the hook out of his mouth.

My brother Ron, sister Norann, and me taking a breather. Sorry it's a little blurry.

Norann, Ron and Mike.

Norann, Ron and Sherry.

And Sherry's mandatory sleepy time nap on a rock. That girl can sleep anywhere!

Here's view of the canyon. The weather was beautiful and the 5 mile round trip seemed to go quickly. We didn't make it to a waterfall farther up river. Mike strained a ligament in his foot but kept going for another 3 miles before heading back. He was a trooper. We'll be heading back in a few weeks to hike to the waterfall and see if the fishing is better upstream.

The happy hikers heading back to the car for lunch at Red Robin.

It was a great first trip and I'm looking forward to seeing what's up river from the big pool. I'll let you all know in a few weeks.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Re: Fished a new Creek Today

Postby CM_Stewart » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:17 am

Nice story, nice pics. Pretty easy to see that a good time was had by all. I've never had a chance to fish out your way and it's always intresting to see new streams and the surrounding countryside.

Be sure and post again when you do find out what's up river from the big pool!
CM_Stewart

Postby pszy22 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:46 pm

The diversity of Tenkara amazes me regarding the environs in which we fish, in terms of size and background scenery. I fishing about 1/2 across our river when I tried to get a picture of my wife. Even with using the zoom, it was hard to get a good shot of her -

pszy22

Postby rsetina » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:20 pm

It is an amazing way to fish. If you can reach it, you can fish it. That's a beautiful photo of the river. How was the fishing? My wife fishes with me too. It's nice to have your spouse interested in doing the things you like to do.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Postby pszy22 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:27 pm

Rick,

The fishing was great. We caught lots of fish over a long (long) weekend. Nothing huge, but alot of 10" - 12" fish that were all fat and sassy.

My wife always sort of liked fly fishing, but she really seems to enjoy Tenkara. I think as much as anything due to the simplicity, epecially not having to manage line in moving water.

That is the one thing I miss in Michigan, we got plenty of water, but no big hills/mountains.
Last edited by pszy22 on Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
pszy22

Postby rsetina » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:49 am

Mountains do add a little something to the experience no question about that.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Return to Your Tenkara Experience