****The tenkara forum will now use a separate login from the rest of the site. If you are an existing forum user, you may need to confirm or possibly create a new account. We will have limited support for the forum.****

Tenkara NJ

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Tenkara NJ

Postby piscator » Tue May 25, 2010 11:19 am

I was able to get out on the weekend to test my Yamame vs. traditional CZ Nymphing. I went through the run and only hooked and landed a 12" brown on the CZ Nymph gear (a 10ft Greys Streamflex and a team of three nymphs.)

I placed this rod on a large boulder and extended the 12 Ft 6in YAMAME. I used the braided leader and about three ft of 5X with two nymphs. (Nymphs were a Bead head Ptail with flashback and a GRHE trailing 18" behind.)

***Note this is right back through the water that I nymphed hard for at least the past 20 min***
I went right back to the beginning of the run and began taking fish three nice browns 11" to 13" and at least 2 more visible hits that I did not hook. Finally I did hook up with a nice larger brown around 17" or 18" The YAMAME won out and I was able to take a nice picture (The one in my avitar :)

Here is a great tip for the Nymph game for Tenkara enthusiasts. I add use a chartruse dacron sighter that I spliced a loop into each end. I add it to the end of the Braided Tenkara Line and I loop my tippet off of the other end. This is really visible (I also make them in high Vis Orange) and you will be amazed how many more strikes that you will detect.

Final score:
CZ Nymphing rig: 1
YAMAME: 4
I am addicted what more can I say!

Enjoy

Piscator
Attachments
PISCATOR TENKARA TROUT NJ RD 001.jpg
This is the best of the Tenkara Fish. This Brown had a split tail that healed from an old injury.
PISCATOR TENKARA TROUT NJ RD 001.jpg (133.28 KiB) Viewed 6156 times
piscator

Re: Tenkara NJ

Postby rsetina » Tue May 25, 2010 11:29 am

Nice report! Good looking brown trout you have there. It's all about presentation and you can just do it better with a Tenkara rod. No doubt about it.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby solocanoe » Tue May 25, 2010 12:05 pm

congrats on your "research".... you should definitely force yourself to conduct at least 3 more studies...to 'confirm' your findings! :lol: At least that's what you can tell yourself when the lawn needs mowing, and other tasks sit undone while you enjoy Tenkara! :roll:
-john
Lucky to get out. Whenever I can. Never enough. Romans 8:31
solocanoe

Postby CM_Stewart » Tue May 25, 2010 5:47 pm

Well done, piscator!

How long do you make your sighters?

Do you put floatant on them?

I've tried with and without floatant, and generally made them about 16" with black bars. (But I generally find the pink fluorocarbon line visible enough that I don't use them anymore. If it's dark enough that I can't see the pink fluorocarbon I use yellow Stren.) I do agree that you absolutely, positively have to be able to see your line - or sighter - twitch, though!
CM_Stewart

Postby rapidan » Tue May 25, 2010 6:00 pm

Nice brown you got there :)

Jeremy
rapidan

Postby piscator » Wed May 26, 2010 6:57 am

CM_Stewart wrote:CM_Stewart

Reply to CM_Stewart:

I make the sighter about 4-5 inches total length with a loop on each end. I think that it makes casting easier because of the slight increase toward the end. I will try to post some pics of the sighters and how to make them.

Another cool idea to make sighters a bit more stealthy is to wrap them around a pencil and strike a line down one or two sides with a black sharpie. When you unwind it you get an alternating bright green and black alternating or varigated pattern. This hides the bright section but still allows you to see it very well.

I also do not apply any flotant and the trick is to keep your line off of the water with onlt the tip of the sighter touching the water. You will see more light takes when it stops or pauses in the flow. Since all takes are not so soft it is nice to see that dart under or upstream. let me know if that helps.

I have been using this sighter with the braided Tenkara line. I will try it with the Tenkara Level line as well I imagine that it would work equally well. I am guessing that you may need a small loop extender to the end of the level line. I would try to make several sizes to see what length provides the best balance.

Have fun!

Piscator
piscator

Postby CM_Stewart » Wed May 26, 2010 9:15 am

piscator wrote:the trick is to keep your line off of the water with onlt the tip of the sighter touching the water

Yes!
CM_Stewart

Postby troutrageous1 » Wed May 26, 2010 10:25 am

Nice fish! I saw the pic (& movie) over on the Jersey Angler blog earlier today as well. Was interested to see how you landed that big guy - looks like it involved a little bit of running!
Mike Agneta
troutrageous.com
Tenkara Florida Facebook Group
Ayu II | Ebisu | Iwana 11' | Rhodo | Sato
troutrageous1

Postby b_in_az » Wed May 26, 2010 10:31 am

Great fish and pic/video, I saw it too. I'm still new to tenkara and having trouble detecting strikes, and I've been wanting some form of indicator to use. All I have are the 1/2" thingamabobbers, but don't like the way they cast on a tenkara rod. I'll have to get some hi-vis dacron and do what you did. Great idea!
b_in_az

Postby sholgate » Wed May 26, 2010 3:57 pm

For what it is worth, I really like small yarn with floatent or the small foam sticky ones. Keep them barely touching the water, they have very little resistance and easy to see.
Steven Holgate
West Lawn, PA

Teacher and Trout Bum
sholgate

Next

Return to Your Tenkara Experience