****The tenkara forum will now use a separate login from the rest of the site. If you are an existing forum user, you may need to confirm or possibly create a new account. We will have limited support for the forum.****

the momentum of tenkara

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

the momentum of tenkara

Postby Adam Trahan » Sat May 22, 2010 12:22 pm

I originally started writing this for the forum here but figured what the heck, I'll post something lighter here.

Where do you think tenkara is as far as popularity in the USA goes?

Is it coming on or is it at it's peak?

Personally, my choice to practice it, I am almost at square one...

But I am enjoying it very much.

Studying each component of equipment, and there are not that many, finding what works best for me is fun.

We do not have much history in the USA as far as tenkara goes, I don't want to be repeating history, I am going to learn from it.

The Internet allows us to bridge distances quickly, allows us to gather here to learn, from that distance.

I enjoy traveling by keyboard but by foot on the stream is best.
Adam Trahan

Re: the momentum of tenkara

Postby sholgate » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:26 am

I believe that the Tenkara style of fishing has only begun here in the US, and more specifically here in PA. Beginners are looking for a way to succeed in fly fishing without spending thousands to begin, and long time anglers are looking for a way to perfect their craft. I am hardly ever seen with one of my Tenkara rod without conversation and or questions. It is growing both by internet and experiences.
Steven Holgate
West Lawn, PA

Teacher and Trout Bum
sholgate

Postby rsetina » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:47 pm

I have to agree with you Steven. TenkaraUSA has only benn around a little over a year, April 2009 if my memory serves me right, and already has a very good number of followers. But I believe the sport has just scratched the surface of it's potential. I have had several of my angling friends tell me they would like to give a Tenkara rod a try but as of today none have taken the step of actually taking a rod in hand an fishing with one. Most fish larger waters like the Owens and Kern River where I do believe Tenkara has it's place but like many fly fishermen, they are set in their ways and change is sometimes not easliy made when one is comfortable.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby rvrgzr » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:24 pm

I think fishermen will do what's fun and productive. Tenkara is both. And, since it's 'different', you're going to get all the ribbing and comments that go along with that. I just smile, flip into a run that a 'traditional' fisherman has just gone through--with no success, and hook a fish in front of him. Of course, the comment is, "What fly you usin'?" I enjoy answering, "One of the 3 types I carry. Want one?"
rvrgzr

Postby rsetina » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:27 pm

rvrgzr wrote:I think fishermen will do what's fun and productive. Tenkara is both. And, since it's 'different', you're going to get all the ribbing and comments that go along with that. I just smile, flip into a run that a 'traditional' fisherman has just gone through--with no success, and hook a fish in front of him. Of course, the comment is, "What fly you usin'?" I enjoy answering, "One of the 3 types I carry. Want one?"

If you decide to go with what Daniel learned in Japan you'll have to say, "This one". :lol:
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Postby rvrgzr » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:39 am

rsetina wrote:
rvrgzr wrote:
If you decide to go with what Daniel learned in Japan you'll have to say, "This one". :lol:

Or look at the guy and say, "There's more than one?" :lol:
rvrgzr

Postby jbenenson » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:51 am

My hope is that tenkara fishing will survive on its own merits. Personally, I love the unique style of fishing and it has certainly produced its share of fish!

Conventional fly fishing is an industry that has the main characteristic of many others: excessive advertising to create a constant need to buy more of the latest better, more advanced, more efficient products. "Look Ma, they've shaved another 1/8 oz. off last year's rod". :o Tenkara is, if you can accept the pun, "swimming against the corporate tide" or, better, flowing with the dao. It's interesting how many of us have chosen a traditional technique, eschewing reel, guides, backing, (long and heavy) PVC line, etc. I, for one, really enjoy the more direct contact with the fish and the fishing experience one has with tenkara than I ever have using conventional gear.

Another factor is that, while I used to browse fishing catalogs with enthusiasm, I am now aware of how much I was taken in by it all. Now I briefly glance at them before throwing the out.

I don't believe that tenkara fishing will ever become mainstream -- read the Field & Stream blog if you need proof -- but I'm certain that is has a future with those who look for a return to a simpler, more rewarding, more real time.
--
I would like to have the modest contact with the nature in hope of continuing the beautiful streams forever

Yoshikazu Fujioka
jbenenson

Postby rvrgzr » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:02 pm

jbenenson wrote: flowing with the dao. .

Don't believe I've ever flowed withe the Dao. Flowed with the Madison and Yellowstone, but never the Dao. Is it near the Deschutes?
rvrgzr

Postby rsetina » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:13 pm

rvrgzr wrote:
rsetina wrote:
rvrgzr wrote:

Or look at the guy and say, "There's more than one?" :lol:

Much better said than the way I put it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Postby jbenenson » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:08 am

rvrgzr, the dao is everywhere and nowhere. :D
--
I would like to have the modest contact with the nature in hope of continuing the beautiful streams forever

Yoshikazu Fujioka
jbenenson

Next

Return to Your Tenkara Experience