The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Tenkara Tubby

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Tenkara Tubby

Postby rvrgzr » Tue May 18, 2010 2:27 pm

Now, this one was fun. Amago rod and a yellow sponge spider.
rvrgzr

Re: Tenkara Tubby

Postby uschi » Tue May 18, 2010 7:20 pm

Ayu with a black foam spider
uschi

Postby pszy22 » Tue May 18, 2010 7:41 pm

Great fish! It's amazing how versatile those rubber spiders are.
pszy22

Postby Chris » Tue May 18, 2010 11:36 pm

Nice fish!

It would be interesting to learn how the Ayu compares to the Amago when it comes to catching those nice fishes, and maybe more interesting how well the tippet is protected by the different "flex" of the rods.
Chris

Postby rvrgzr » Wed May 19, 2010 4:39 am

Chris wrote:Nice fish!

It would be interesting to learn how the Ayu compares to the Amago when it comes to catching those nice fishes, and maybe more interesting how well the tippet is protected by the different "flex" of the rods.

The bass have proven to me that the flex in the Amago protects the 5x tippet better than the stiffer Yamame. Perhaps the rod being longer (13 1/2 feet vs. 12) adds to that, also.

I am really looking forward to seeing how the Amago handles some of the sizable trout in the mountains. I've had large fish pop the 5x tippet on my Yamame often.
rvrgzr

Postby solocanoe » Wed May 19, 2010 8:03 am

thank you for the research, Rvrgzr! I know it's really tough to catch those monster 'gills and 3-5 pound bass for us to see and read about....but we appreciate all your <hard> work! :roll: lol!

Seriously - you've certainly posted some wonderful details -and pics - regarding the differences between the Yamame and the Amago!

Of course, now I AM confused as to my next rod...but I suppose I will just continue to enjoy my Yamame until some great deal or something pushes me to grab another one....

sweet, sweet pics - and I agree - the spider (mine sink very slowly) has been my "go to" warm water fly for about 3 years now...it's silly how much they outfish about everything else (for me)
-john
Lucky to get out. Whenever I can. Never enough. Romans 8:31
solocanoe

Postby rvrgzr » Wed May 19, 2010 3:27 pm

solocanoe wrote:- the spider (mine sink very slowly) has been my "go to" warm water fly for about 3 years now...it's silly how much they outfish about everything else (for me)

I've caught more than a few nice trout using a brown body/black legs sponge spider, using it as a 'dry fly' either alone or supporting a small unweighted dropper fly.
rvrgzr

Return to Your Tenkara Experience