The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

The Utah Experience

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

The Utah Experience

Postby erik.ostrander » Sat May 15, 2010 5:43 pm

Utah has just passed legislation severely impacting water access. The bill went into effect this last Monday, so I decided to get out and see what was still available to the public.

Friday morning I put on sandals, pack the car and head out. After an hour or so drive I find myself in a spring-blizzard and realize my hopes of a sunny, warm weekend have just frozen out.

Upon reaching the creek and inspecting the water, I decided that the fish would be really spooky and I was only going to be able to catch fish long-distance. Western rod came out, and after an hour of pure frustration I decided I would either snap my western rod over my knee or let-loose the Amago.

Within 20 minutes my third fish was caught - a nice 17" brown on a Hare's ear

The fishing was slow enough to take pictures of the scenery:

I ended up with 15+ fish landed - a bit slow for my liking with Tenkara.

Next day and a nother river with public access.
Nothing was hatching, but these two caddis didn't care. They didn't even mind me capturing a photo or two while they were doing "the deed".

Tied on a hare's ear again, and brought this fellow to hand:
Funny thing about this fish is that I think my friend caught it last year in the same hole I did. Last year it was just barely 18", now a bit over 18.5" The Amago handled the fish with ease - even with 15' leader + 4' tippet.

The hole where I landed the fish was caught in the hole behind me. Make sure you are protected from skin cancer.

Next hole produced this beautiful Cutthroat in spawning colors.
The hole:

I didn't catch a fish here, but I wanted to show you what Utah has to offer (even with severe access restrictions)

I just thought this pic was cool:

All in all, Utah still has a lot to offer. The fishing was a bit slower than usual, but the Hare's Ear nymph came to the rescue.

Tight lines.
erik.ostrander

Re: The Utah Experience

Postby rsetina » Sat May 15, 2010 5:51 pm

Wow! Nice day on the water despite the closed water. Loved all the photos of the fish but the last photo is very nice. By the way, my wife likes wearing a buff too. She does it to stay out of the sun.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby solocanoe » Sun May 16, 2010 6:09 am

oh MY! wonderful photos! THANK YOU!

Utah is certainly on my list to visit extensively "pre-retirement" - that year-ish trip I plan on taking figuring out where I want to make home base. Trouble is that's at least 10 to 15 years off and your pics make me want to do it now! :lol:

Interesting how the thought was you "needed" the distance of the long casts/western rod...and then the Tenkara set up outfished it! I am certainly seeing the same thing.

I thought about it the other day - another day of huge success and crazy numbers with Tenkara - and decided that maybe western flyfishing has evolved to appeal to fishermen...and Tenkara is still true to putting food on the family table. (just my guess) It's true I couldn't reach the fish 20 yards away...but it's kinda hard to complain when I'm tearing them up close at hand. :roll:
-john
Lucky to get out. Whenever I can. Never enough. Romans 8:31
solocanoe

Postby blatt1970 » Sun May 16, 2010 6:17 am

:o
wow³³³!
Astonishing pictures, fish and place... I think i'm a bit
on the envious side, sorry for that,
just can't help my self seeing all those beauties! :mrgreen:
Thanks for sharing!
blatt1970

Postby riffle » Sun May 16, 2010 7:31 am

Hi Erik,

Great pics and beautiful scenery. Yes, we do have great outdoors here in Utah. Were you fishing up or down stream, reg. or softie, weighted or split shot?

Congrats on a great story and pics.

Riffle
riffle

Postby erik.ostrander » Sun May 16, 2010 12:27 pm

riffle wrote:Hi Erik,

Great pics and beautiful scenery. Yes, we do have great outdoors here in Utah. Were you fishing up or down stream, reg. or softie, weighted or split shot?

Congrats on a great story and pics.

Riffle

Lee,

I tried all sorts of things - all up stream. The only thing I caught fish on all weekend long, and I mean all weekend long, was a beadhead-flashback-Hare's Ear.

That's it, nothing else worked and believe me I tried.

Recently I've been doing a double dropper setup tied up with a Seaguar knot. It's basically a faster, stronger version of a triple surgeon's knot.

How about you? Been swinging softies?
erik.ostrander

Postby troutrageous1 » Sun May 16, 2010 12:55 pm

Wow...thanks for posting those pics. Utah certainly is some beautiful country. I've been out to SLC & Logan for business a few times (but never to fish :x ). That will need to change the next time.
Mike Agneta
troutrageous.com
Tenkara Florida Facebook Group
Ayu II | Ebisu | Iwana 11' | Rhodo | Sato
troutrageous1

Postby riffle » Mon May 17, 2010 3:16 am

Hi Erik,

Yes I have been swinging the softies every chance I get. Been very productive on the MPR even with the higher water. Also using the Leisinring Lift to great advantage. Using a GRHE SH almost exclusively. Have not been able to hit the lakes yet, will let you know when I do.

Riffle
riffle

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Mon May 17, 2010 11:54 pm

Great shots, gorgeous fish! Thanks for posting these.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby BrianF » Tue May 18, 2010 1:56 pm

That is one pretty cutthroat.
BrianF

Next

Return to Your Tenkara Experience