Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Tenkara on Utah's Big Cottonwood Creek

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Tenkara on Utah's Big Cottonwood Creek

Postby tap21 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:52 am

Just got my Yamame rod last weekend.

Took it up to Big Cottonwood Canyon here in Salt Lake City. This is the home of Solitude and Brighton Ski resorts but also has a small and fast mountain creek.

The Yamame was awesome on this water. I caught about 10 fish. A mix of brookies and browns. Most were in the 6-10" range. I caught almost all of them on a parachute adams size 14 or 16 although I think any small dry would have worked the same. On this rod with the furled leader, the precision of casts and the delicacy of the presentation are awesome.

The 12 feet of length also seemed to help when I was hiding behind a tree or a bush and was able to set the adams down right where I wanted in a pool.
tap21

Re: Tenkara on Utah's Big Cottonwood Creek

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:56 pm

I am so glad to hear of tenkara fishing on one of the Cottonwood creeks. Ever since taking up tenkara I haven't stopped thinking about fishing there.

On my previous job I was sent to Salt Lake City for a week. It was my first time in Utah and I kept a rental car for the week as I envisioned it would be great to go fishing once or twice while there. Instead of once or twice I went every single day for the entire week. As soon as I left work I headed straight to the creeks nearby and fished until it got too dark to see, or until my toes and feet were so numb I could no longer walk- I was wet wading. In my mind you can't beat the beauty/proximity to the fishing spots there. I wasn't tenkara fishing back then, but I know it would have been the perfect spot, and actually one of the areas I envisioned going tenkara fishing when I started Tenkara USA.....

Your post makes me day dream and wish I lived in such a beautiful area with so much good fishing nearby. My wife and I have said many times we wouldn't mind moving there...who knows, maybe we just should.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby tap21 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:27 pm

Wow, 2.5 years later I am back on the forum.

In the mean time, I have caught a lot of fish in Utah using my Yamame rod. I almost never break out my western fly rod anymore.

I've caught big fish on my Yamame on the Provo, the Weber, and the Strawberry. I've also caught a ton of smaller fish on it in 4 different canyons only a few minutes from Downtown Salt Lake City.

I have also taught quite a few people how to fish using my Yamame. It's so simple and direct...I can't see any reason to put them on my western fly gear.

Looking at the forum, it's amazing to see how much the Tenkara community has grown in the last couple of years. Although, the first time I fished with my Yamame, I immediately knew that the introduction of Tenkara fishing in the U.S. would be a big success.

Thanks for making my awesome Tenkara rod, Daniel! It has had a huge impact on my weekends!
tap21

Postby Jason Klass » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:06 am

I was glad to hear this. My Yamame is on the way and Ic an't wait to try it out.
My blog: Tenkara Talk

Tenkara USA Rods: Amago, Ayu, Ayu Series II, Ebisu, Ito, Iwana 11', Iwana 12', Rhodo, Sato, Yamame.
Jason Klass

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:31 pm

Daniel @ TenkaraUSA wrote:Your post makes me day dream and wish I lived in such a beautiful area with so much good fishing nearby. My wife and I have said many times we wouldn't mind moving there...who knows, maybe we just should.

How about move up to the foothills so you can access the great Sierra streams more frequently yet still be a hop skip jump to San Francisco.

That way if you are up here I can go fishing with you more often and learn learn learn. No I am not greedy am I? :twisted:

And WOW Tap, 2.5 years later is for sure a long time to wait to offer updates. :P

tj
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby erik.ostrander » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:55 am

Tap21,

I sent you a PM, but let's fish!

erik@tenkaraguides.com
erik.ostrander

Postby tap21 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:11 am

And nine years later, I'm still fishing Big Cottonwood Canyon with my Yamame.

Almost a decade ago, I visited this website and acquired a simple and perfect object that laid waste to the endless trivial minutia of fly fishing and distilled one of the world's great pass times down to it's purest elements. A million thanks to Daniel and Tenkara USA! You guys changed fishing for me. I might never have discovered Tenkara if you guys hadn't put these rods on the market.

Cheers,
Tap21
tap21

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:39 pm

tap21 wrote:And nine years later, I'm still fishing Big Cottonwood Canyon with my Yamame.

Almost a decade ago, I visited this website and acquired a simple and perfect object that laid waste to the endless trivial minutia of fly fishing and distilled one of the world's great pass times down to it's purest elements. A million thanks to Daniel and Tenkara USA! You guys changed fishing for me. I might never have discovered Tenkara if you guys hadn't put these rods on the market.

Cheers,
Tap21

Superb! ;-)

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Return to Your Tenkara Experience