The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Tenkara in Brazil! (Now with the real one!)

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Tenkara in Brazil! (Now with the real one!)

Postby blatt1970 » Thu May 13, 2010 10:48 pm

:D
Perhaps nowadays i do live in northeast Brazil coast were snook, jack and tarpon are part
of my reality i was born 2.500 miles to the south, back country area, were small stream and fish are the rule and this is what my Iwana was intended for...

When i say small fish i mean very small ones like our very prolific "lambarí" (Astyanax spp.)
and the not so small "Saicanga" (Acestrorrynchus spp)
Although they can grow up to 8 and 17 inches respectively 5 and 7 inches are most comonly found!
Lambarí is a forage fish that belongs to the pirana family and this makes them very eaguer and they do feed on everything... But hooking them is not an easy task cause their mouth is very tiny and they are very fast.
Saicanga is a predator that loves to wait for its pray close to fast water pools.
Well, my fisrts tenkara outing was very good and i intend to do it as often as i can...
Like someone told me on another post, i just missed the "line hook setting" you can count on western fly fishing... All the rest was ok!

Small Brazilian south stream, 10 to 20 feet wide (mostly 10)

Some oranges by the river bank, hmmm, delicious! :D

The cows like them very much!

The first lambarí, not big but on Iwana almost a trophy!

Another river stretch...

uhuu, a fatty one, this made the iwana come down, very nice, i liked it!

searching for some "bugs" found these two...

Let's match the hatch!

First saicangas, small "great" fish on tenkara! Put a very good bend an long fight!

Not only fish makes a fishery, but all its surroundings!
blatt1970

Re: Tenkara in Brazil! (Now with the real one!)

Postby solocanoe » Fri May 14, 2010 6:51 am

blatt1970 - what a fantastic trip you have taken us on. 1/2 way around the world too! how cool is that. :D

congrats on your Iwana success and thanks again for the beautiful pictures of your area and a fish most of us on this side will never even see.
-john
Lucky to get out. Whenever I can. Never enough. Romans 8:31
solocanoe

Postby rvrgzr » Fri May 14, 2010 7:33 am

Beautiful area, but I suggest you don't use your Iwana while casting to jacks or snook or tarpon, unless you like to hear the the "pop" of 5x line breaking. And, as I've learned from first hand experience, if you go to a 4x or 3x tippet, you'll be sending to Tenkara USA for more "top piece" rod sections.

Thanks for the tropical pics and showing the water and fish you have in your area.

If you're interested, email me: rvrgzr@aol.com and I'll send you the links to some articles (salt and fresh water) I've done about fly fishing in different parts of the US.

rvrgzr

Postby wrknapp » Fri May 14, 2010 8:39 am

Thanks for the post. It is always nice to see other places around the Tenkara world.

Randy
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Fri May 14, 2010 11:38 am

Bacana! Obrigado pelas fotos (cool, thanks for the pictures).
Those streams look very nice, whereabouts is it?
I had forgotten how fun it was to catch lambari until my last trip to Brazil, and I had a blast with tenkara. I was also able to convert my dad from bait fishing to fishing with a fly (http://www.tenkarausa.com/blog/?p=592)
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby Jay K » Fri May 14, 2010 7:26 pm

Great pictorial post - thank you for sharing. That's the wonderful thing about Tenkara - it's so mobile, that I look forward to taking it on all my trips in the future. Your post just reminded me that Brazil might just be a great destination.
Jay K

Postby daryl martens » Fri May 14, 2010 8:41 pm

awesome post! neat looking fish.
daryl martens

Postby blatt1970 » Sat May 15, 2010 1:39 pm

:D
Thanks to all...
RVRGZR, no, i will not try it with those lunkers
but i must confess the idea is very exciting :mrgreen:
DANIEL, this place is at my aunt's backyard, she lives in R.S.
back country area!
blatt1970

Return to Your Tenkara Experience