The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

My first Tenkara outing

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

My first Tenkara outing

Postby swerve » Tue May 11, 2010 3:36 pm

I recived my Tenkara rod today at about 2 oclock. By 2:30 i was at my local stream casting away. My first cast i hooked a nice rock bass. I then went on to land around 20-25 fish in about an hour and a half. The casting is easy and what great drift you get. cant wait to get it to my fav. trout stream. Just thought i would share my experience.
swerve

Re: My first Tenkara outing

Postby bjanzen » Tue May 11, 2010 4:57 pm

Very cool..... Welcome to the cult ;) You will have many more great outings. BTW, let us all know what rod you have and line.... fly.... etc about your outing.

Just got home from my last fishing adventure. I stopped by the river on the way back from work. Tried my hand at some 'gills...... I don't know how you warmwater guys do it.... I need to stick to trout. They are easier....... Only managed about 4 in two hours. A couple of nice hefty blue gills made up for the time spent. It was a nice relaxing time though.

Barry
bjanzen

Postby jbenenson » Wed May 12, 2010 5:30 pm

swerve, I like that: Receive rod, unpack rod, head for water, catch many fish immediately. That's the way it should be done, my friend. Thanks for letting us know. :)
--
I would like to have the modest contact with the nature in hope of continuing the beautiful streams forever

Yoshikazu Fujioka
jbenenson

Postby rsetina » Wed May 12, 2010 9:32 pm

Welcome swerve. Glad you had a good first outing on the day you got your rod. Sounds like you had a good day all around.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby sholgate » Thu May 13, 2010 8:23 am

swerve

What state is your stream in?
Steven Holgate
West Lawn, PA

Teacher and Trout Bum
sholgate

Postby swerve » Thu May 13, 2010 9:49 am

I used a yamame with level line. and a 6x tippet. My first outing was at the buffalo ny river. Which is very close to my house. I didnt catch anything huge but had a great day any way. I went to the wiscoy here in ny yesterday the waters were high but fishable. i tryed my Yamame and cought 4 nice natives from 4 in to 12 in. I will bring a camera on my next outing to the oatka and post some. Im lucky enough to be able to fish almost everyday so i should have more reports in the future. and hopefully i will get better at this writeing thing.
swerve

Postby swerve » Thu May 13, 2010 9:52 am

[quote=[quote][/quote]"swerve"]I used a yamame with level line. and a 6x tippet. My first outing was at the buffalo ny river. Which is very close to my house. I didnt catch anything huge but had a great day any way. I went to the wiscoy here in ny yesterday the waters were high but fishable. i tryed my Yamame and cought 4 nice natives from 4 in to 12 in. I will bring a camera on my next outing to the oatka and post some. Im lucky enough to be able to fish almost everyday so i should have more reports in the future. and hopefully i will get better at this writeing thing
swerve

Return to Your Tenkara Experience