The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

NC out, AR in

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

NC out, AR in

Postby jbenenson » Sun May 09, 2010 9:28 am

Well folks, I'm back from my planned trip to Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I was able to fish one day with a guide for rainbows and brookies before the big storm that flooded Nashville hit. The pictures are on the guide's camera, but suffice it to say that there is another enthusiastic convert to tenkara in western North Carolina. He was skeptical in the beginning -- rod too long, just dapping, etc. -- but as soon as he saw me use the rod he HAD to try it and -- surprise! -- he loved it and caught more fish than was possible with that other type of equipment. (Stand by for an order, Daniel.)

We got out of the mountains just as the storm was hitting and had to go through northern Alabama and Mississippi since western Tennessee (our planned route) was CLOSED. We decided to go to the Ozarks and ended up in Russellville, close to the Mt. Magazine State Park. I divided my time between hiking in the beautiful woods and fishing from shore for bluegills and sunfish with my 11 ft. Iwana. Here are some photos...

Iwana and sunfish (sm).jpg
Iwana and sunfish (sm).jpg (105.37 KiB) Viewed 2564 times
Cove Lake lookout trail (sm).jpg
Cove Lake lookout trail (sm).jpg (109.68 KiB) Viewed 2561 times
Mt Magazine vista.jpg
Mt Magazine vista.jpg (66.85 KiB) Viewed 2561 times

I arrived back in NM yesterday. It was a fun trip, but I'm glad to be home!
--
I would like to have the modest contact with the nature in hope of continuing the beautiful streams forever

Yoshikazu Fujioka
jbenenson

Re: NC out, AR in

Postby CreationBear » Sun May 09, 2010 2:32 pm

That was extremely bad luck with that storm system--we didn't get nearly as much rain as did Nashville (only 3-4 inches on the main crest of the Smokies) but it was enough to blow out the rivers for a couple of days. Glad to see you got over to Russelville, though: I went to school in Conway just down the road and really fell in love with that country.

At any rate, it's good to know we've got more "Tenkara-vangalists" roaming these hills: I took my Ayu out a bit this past week, and even on the headwaters found that the length wasn't a problem at all. (And, man, does an 8-inch fish in current feel different! :) )
CreationBear

Postby solocanoe » Mon May 10, 2010 7:05 am

Congrats on your stopover at Cove Lake - even at the expense of other plans on your trip!

Mt. Magazine is really neat - my son and I love to ride dirtbikes there - they have over 80 miles of trails on the mountain and Cove Lake is a pretty little spot. The lodge at the top is only about 3 years old...definitely a great view as you saw.

It's almost an embarassment of riches here....there are just so many nice quiet spots to go and fish. Congrats on your beautiful sunny too! I don't think I would ever get tired of looking at their fantastic colorings.
-john
Lucky to get out. Whenever I can. Never enough. Romans 8:31
solocanoe

Postby jbenenson » Mon May 10, 2010 8:18 am

Because it is not yet Memorial Day weekend I was able to fish and hike without seeing another person. I prefer it that way: just me and nature! :)

BTW, I always carry my SPOT 2 personal locator beacon, so that if anything should happen to me on suck treks I would be able to request help. I also send an OK message to my wife at the end of the day.
--
I would like to have the modest contact with the nature in hope of continuing the beautiful streams forever

Yoshikazu Fujioka
jbenenson

Return to Your Tenkara Experience