Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Trout 2, Tenkara 0

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Trout 2, Tenkara 0

Postby rvrgzr » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:45 pm

Well, that isn't exactly correct since I did catch some smaller 10-12 inch trout; however, when I tied into a couple of large fish, and the trophy water on the Cherokee Indian Reservation in NC has some very big fish, the fish popped off my 4x tippet. Yes, it took a few seconds to do it, but when the fish dove for the depths of a large hole, my trusty Yamame was out of its league.

You'll notice I'm doing the Tenkara Two-step as I go back to my bag to re-rig. The solution? Looks like a couple of choices: fish smaller water for smaller fish OR have Tenkara USA develop a larger rod. And don't use 3x or stronger, because I damaged one rod already by doing so.
By the way, that is not a spare Tenkara rod dangling from my belt but rather the wading staff I've promised my wife I will always carry while fishing. I mean just because I had to have arthroscopic surgery after I fell and messed up my right knee....
rvrgzr

Re: Trout 2, Tenkara 0

Postby roninroshi » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:01 pm

Nice looking water...thanks for the advice on the tippet size... :D Take good care of your knee!
roninroshi

Re: Trout 2, Tenkara 0

Postby rvrgzr » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:12 pm

The water is lower and slower than when we filmed for a TV show last month. We needed waders and the water was so fast I had to use 2 triple A splitshot to get the nymphs down. Of course I was using standard fly fishing gear: a 5 wt. TFO Axiom rod with 3x tippet.
rvrgzr

Return to Your Tenkara Experience