Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Got to use the new tenkara gear tonight

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Got to use the new tenkara gear tonight

Postby fishcranium » Mon May 03, 2010 11:01 pm

Weather has been cold here in Northern Arizona....so I have not been able to use this gear for the task in which it is most applicable. However, I was able to take it out to a local urban pond tonight to try it out. I went to a local "fishin hole" that is known for high catch rates and multiple warm and cold water species. It is only about 1.5 acres of water but since I know when and what is stocked in this water I figured what the heck. I belied up with the other combat fishermen and caught over a dozen bluegill and two finless stocked trout. I must say that I had a blast. I was using an 11 ft rod and while It definitely has is limitations for lake fishing, a 4-5 inch bluegill puts on quite a fight with this rod...I had a great time. I caught fewer fish than I would have with my 3wt but understanding the rods limitations and fishing accordingly was a challenge in itself. I caught enough fish to demand the attention of my nearest "competitors" and had them all sold on the merits of fly fishing. I only took traditional tenkara flies and I think that they worked as well as any of my traditional western flies. I am not new to tying flies and love these Japanese patterns. I tied commercially for funding for college for two years and now I tie flies for fish...not people. These simple flies are designed to catch fish…not tourists. I suggest you try some. Thanks for the info thus far and I will report on river fishing once they are free of snow.

Scott
A day spent fishing is better than a day spent (add any activity)
fishcranium

Re: Got to use the new tenkara gear tonight

Postby solocanoe » Tue May 04, 2010 6:42 am

Way to go, Scott!

Congrats on the success of both the Tenkara Rod and the Tenkara Flies! :D
-john
Lucky to get out. Whenever I can. Never enough. Romans 8:31
solocanoe

Postby b_in_az » Tue May 04, 2010 7:05 am

Sounds like fun, Scott. I have tied a few of the traditional tenkara flies as well, and am going to use them this weekend for the first time.

If you don't mind my asking what part of AZ are you in? I would love to find a pond to fish for bluegills, and the lakes around Phoenix (Saguaro, Pleasant) are not very shore angler friendly.
b_in_az

Postby rsetina » Tue May 04, 2010 9:09 pm

Good going Scott. I love it when people come up to you and ask what you are using for a rod. I like seeing the look in their eyes and when the wheels in their heads start turning. :D
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Return to Your Tenkara Experience