Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Warm and sunny on the American river

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Warm and sunny on the American river

Postby Lightworker » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:55 pm

So, sunday I went down to a really nice streach of the south fork very nice conditions temps in The 80's clear skies and cool breezes. I wadded 2 miles or so up river I caught 2 5-6" trout and had several bites. There are may nice Olympic size pools following shallower faster secsions of water making for a very diverce expierience. I brought my new amago with me and used about 15 ft of 15lb level line with 4 or 5 ft of 7wt tippit. The amago performed really well and the extra reach of the rod and the level line allowed me to fish some the bigger pools without having to venture to deep in my waiste wadders. And almost as if to tempt me back a good sized fish hit the top of the water as I paused to look at a rather large pool befor the hike back. I told the fish I'd be back in a few days and started the climb up to the car.

Tenkara changed my life
Troy
Lightworker

Re: Warm and sunny on the American river

Postby rsetina » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:53 pm

Man you have a beautiful place to fish. The water is so clear. Thanks for posting some nice pictures of the river.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby solocanoe » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:10 am

Rick is absolutely right, Troy. just beautiful.
-john
-john
Lucky to get out. Whenever I can. Never enough. Romans 8:31
solocanoe

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:25 am

Hey Troy, thanks for sharing.
And, you guys have to keep in mind that water is a little bit murky because of the runoff, it'll be even clearer later in the season !
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby rsetina » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:08 pm

Daniel @ TenkaraUSA wrote:Hey Troy, thanks for sharing.
And, you guys have to keep in mind that water is a little bit murky because of the runoff, it'll be even clearer later in the season !

Clearer? Wow! I'll have to get up there this year. Is the American near the Truckee? I don't know geographically were it is. I guess I could look it up.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Postby Lightworker » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:06 am

Hey Rick this section of the south fork is probly about 7 hours frm you in La. Is right outside of placerville. I would love to share:). There is even a lake up the road wth a restaurant and group camping plus a couple other promsing spots within 20min drive. Hey wait a minute do I smell a tenkara outing!!! If any one wants check out the area let me now. I work out of my home and usually have free time in the day all week.

Tenkara changed my life
Troy
Lightworker

Postby rsetina » Sat May 01, 2010 3:42 pm

Lightworker wrote:Hey Rick this section of the south fork is probly about 7 hours frm you in La. Is right outside of placerville. I would love to share:). There is even a lake up the road wth a restaurant and group camping plus a couple other promsing spots within 20min drive. Hey wait a minute do I smell a tenkara outing!!! If any one wants check out the area let me now. I work out of my home and usually have free time in the day all week.

Tenkara changed my life
Troy

Sounds like an outing to me too. We are on vacation the last week of May so if any of you guys up in Northern California want to get together, lets make some plans. The lake with the campground by the lake sounds like a good place to stay. Any takers? Sounds like Lightworker is up for an outing.

How will the water levels be at the end of May?
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Return to Your Tenkara Experience