****The tenkara forum will now use a separate login from the rest of the site. If you are an existing forum user, you may need to confirm or possibly create a new account. We will have limited support for the forum.****

Tenkara Stealheading in BC, Canada

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Tenkara Stealheading in BC, Canada

Postby awilner » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:46 am

Hi Folks,

Just stumbled on TenkaraUSA and cannot WAIT to order up a rod! Super psyched to try it out. I do a lot of canoe tripping in Canada, and this rod is going to revolutionize my paddles...

My father, brother, and I spent two weeks salmon fishing the Skeena/Kitimat region of British Columbia a few Augusts ago. Splendid trip and excellent fly fishing (we’re talking 50 fish days). We were guided by Tracey Hittel’s superb outfit, Stealhead Heaven. Hittel publishes regular fishing reports.

His May 2009 report (http://www.steelheadheaven.com/report051109.htm) included a small section on a tenkara wielding fisher landing LARGE chromheads! His rod measured 30 feet (super hot pics: http://www.steelheadheaven.com/rod.htm)

We do a lot of Atlantic salmon fishing in the Gaspe and in Nova Scotia and I would love to take a Tenkara on my next trip.

Is TenkaraUSA considering supplying large, 9/10-weight class rods for those of us who want to fish big game? I think there’s a huge market for it….

Cheers,

Alex
awilner

Re: Tenkara Stealheading in BC, Canada

Postby tully32 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

I found this video and was wondering the same. it gets good about 13 mins in.
http://tv.shimano.co.jp/movie/tv/paradise_06/
tully32

Postby rsetina » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:23 pm

I've seen that video before. It's fun to watch. I bet it's fun landing steelhead on a tenkara rod and more effective too.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:51 pm

Hey guys, just a note, that was definitely not tenkara fishing.
It's important to know that Japan has several types of freshwater fishing, some of which look very similar and many that use a fixed-line (i.e. no reel) and telescopic rod. But, tenkara is really ONLY used for smaller streams to catch the local trout, not for the big monsters.
That is likely a type of "keiryu" fishing, not fly-fishing. There is no casting involved, and while they may use a fly, most often they use bait instead.
Just want to clarify it, that site and video get posted here pretty often, but no it's not tenkara. And, no, we'll not be developing heavy rods, our goal is to remain pure-tenkara, and stay true within the tenkara tradition.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby danku » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:58 am

Just to back Daniel up. The rod used in the vid is not a Tenkara rod. It would be called a Keiyru rod or a Nobezao. The fact that it is used with no reel is very much the same. The one rod one line way of fishing has come a long way. I would have to say Tenkara is the grampa of it all. Simple is the best way of life and fishing. At least I believe so. Have fun with your Tenkara rod, when you take it to the limit and are rewarded it is a day to remember. Have fun.
Tenkara old timer
danku

Postby CM_Stewart » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:44 am

awilner wrote: I think there’s a huge market for it….

The huge market is kept in check by the prices for those steelhead-capable keiryu rods. Top of the line rods go for well over $1000.
CM_Stewart

Return to Your Tenkara Experience