The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

First outing with my 11' Iwana........

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

First outing with my 11' Iwana........

Postby bjanzen » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:52 pm

Well gang..... I made it back up to the South Holston river near Bristol, TN yesterday. Had a good time. I had received my new 11' Iwana in the mail this past week and was itching to fish it. The night before, my buddy and I had agreed to get an earlier start. Each would call the other when we woke up. He said he would set his alarm for 4 and I decided to set mine for 5. Well, I was awoken by the call of nature at 2:47am and with the anticipation of the trip, couldn't go back to sleep. At four-o-clock, I hear my phone ringing..... It was my buddy I will call Michael (to protect the innocent). He sounded awake and he said I did too..... Well I had been for an hour or more so I was ready to get going. I get ready...... shave....... feed the dogs..... Pack my stuff.... Eat........ water my flowers........ Standing by the door at 5am waiting on him to pick me up...........

I decided to call and see where he was....... He answers and I said, " We going fishing anytime soon?" He responds, "What time is it?" He didn't believe me when I said, " 5 o-clock" The lame ass had fallen back asleep! For the rest of the day little comments were made to keep the embarrassment going. We were also picking up another guy up in Knoxville who had been up since 4:30 and had plenty of time to tie flies! :lol:

Well..... FINALLY made it to the river.... Here I am ......Ready to fish....

Here is a view Up river.....

A view Down river...

I had brought three leaders and two rods. I had my Ayu and new Iwana to fish side by side. I started with my Iwana. I had tied a new leader and had used some bright orange thread to make it "Hi-Vis". Well it was easy to see but I wasn't getting bites. I tried it on both rods and decided it was just a little heavy. It is about 2 grains heavier than the Tenkara tradional but I couldn't get a soft presentation. I tried several flies and setups but couldn't get a strike.

I decided to switch to another leader. I put on a 13# flouro level line tapered down to 8# and then down to 6x tippet..... Suddenly I started getting bumps..... Go figure! Must have had a "shut them down" leader on.

At this point I had switched to my Ayu to see how it compared. Now my Iwana was LOVE AT FIRST CAST....... My Ayu has a nice reach and helped keep more line off the water. I had hooked a couple of little fish feeding on a tiny BWO hatch. I had a caddis pattern for an indicator fly and they were hitting it. Yeah for a indicator with a hook! 8-)

I switched back to the Iwana and started working out from the bank. Since there were fish feeding on the BWOs, I switched to a CDC BWO dry. In a few casts, I had this nice fish on...... Now I know this is supposed to be my "Brookie" rod but it handled this hard fighting, stream breed brown with ease. Seemed to have just as much back bone as my Ayu but what do I know????

I whistle to my buddy (who overslept) to come up and take my picture..... Now I know my last report didn't have pictures and I wasn't going to make that mistake again........

So here is me with the Iwana 11' and the first fish..... Drum roll please......

First Fish.....Nice stream breed brown
bjanzen

Re: First outing with my 11' Iwana........

Postby b_in_az » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:49 pm

Nice brown! Looks like a beautiful place to fish, too. Great report.
b_in_az

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:32 pm

Nice pictures, what a beautiful fish you caught. Thanks for the report.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby anders » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:40 am

Nice to see all that Spring green in the background, too!
anders

Postby CreationBear » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:20 am

You know, knowing you for a fellow "cane guy" I'd be very curious about a rod comparison between your Ayu and Iwana...I've not yet cast the Iwana, but the "tempo" of my Ayu takes me to the same "happy place" as my Payne clone. I'm thinking the Iwana might be kind of like an old Winston WT in comparison?
CreationBear

Postby solocanoe » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:59 am

I just want to say thanks for the report and the pics! Congrats on your new rod working out too!
-john
Lucky to get out. Whenever I can. Never enough. Romans 8:31
solocanoe

Postby blatt1970 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:06 am

:D
The iwana 11' was my choice too...
Very happy to see this report and notice i made the right choice...
Someone could say this is a pretty wide stream for a rod that short...
I see the obstacles is much more in our mind than outside of it!
Thanks for sharin...
blatt1970

Postby bjanzen » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:24 pm

CreationBear wrote:You know, knowing you for a fellow "cane guy" I'd be very curious about a rod comparison between your Ayu and Iwana...I've not yet cast the Iwana, but the "tempo" of my Ayu takes me to the same "happy place" as my Payne clone. I'm thinking the Iwana might be kind of like an old Winston WT in comparison?

Well CB..... The jury is still out. The Iwana feels like a Scott G2 4# rod that I have. It is very light and nimble. I really like the feel of it and now have trouble casting my Ayu. The Ayu feels a lot heavier than my cane rods and slower action as well. I like the reach of the Ayu and it will cast a very light line but I just have an awful time keeping the tip from bouncing at the end of the cast even with a very light cast. Reminds me of a few vintage cane rods I have cast in the past. Keep in mind I am just starting with Tenkara and maybe my views will totally change... Hence the jury is still out.....

Barry
bjanzen

Postby CreationBear » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:53 pm

Thanks for elaborating...I've not yet done a full day's fishing with my Ayu, but did manage a quick run-through on my Little River "testing ground" above Elkmont last week. One thing that impressed me was that I was fishing all the same lies that I always do with Western gear--I was reminded again just how few fish I've ever caught via a "hero" cast. :lol: I did however find myself missing the "positive" connection with the line that more powerful rods give you: the Yamame that I've since passed on was way too heavy for my purposes, but I really liked how you could "snap" a curve cast back under the rhody if need be.

At any rate, I'll keep looking for rod reports...if you would, please buy a 12-foot Iwana and the new Amago ASAP if it's not too much trouble--with four rods, finding a workable battery ought to be pretty easy. :)
CreationBear

Return to Your Tenkara Experience