Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

The RiverGeezer tries his new Amago rod

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

The RiverGeezer tries his new Amago rod

Postby rvrgzr » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:02 am

As most of you know, I've used the Yamame as a workhorse rod to catch numerous species of fish, and within its limits, the rod has performed quite well. I was pleasantly surprised when I went down to the pond to cast with my new Amago rod yesterday. Of course the balance is different--there's a foot and a half more rod hanging out there, but I was able to make more accurate casts than I can with my Yamame. Perhaps it has something to do with the way the rod is balanced: to me, rod-heavy compared to the Yamame; but not to the point that it's tiring or any problem. I was sight fishing redear sunfish and was dropping a #14 soft hackle hare's ear right in front of the fishes' noses. The flex in the rod makes fighting even small fish lots of fun. You can imagine the kick when I hooked the bluegill in the photo. I'm looking forward--when the doctor says I can travel again--to taking the Amago up to some of the smaller NC mountain streams and catching rainbows, browns, and brookies.

I recommend the Amago for those to whom casting accuracy WITH LIGHT FLIES is important. I still prefer the Yamame when nymphing with any weight at all.

It appears the rod handles bass this size okay, too:

Oink!

rvrgzr

Re: The RiverGeezer tries his new Amago rod

Postby rsetina » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:10 pm

Nice post. I've still not gone to the lake to try for bluegill or bass yet, but we may have a chance to go this week. Hope so! I like that you added you're thoughts on the two rods. Thanks for the information.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Re: The RiverGeezer tries his new Amago rod

Postby CreationBear » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:50 pm

Very nice: I always thought that shellcrackers belonged on any "pound-for-pound" list. :)

At any rate, I hope you'll be joining all us latter-day sons of Mark Cathey up here in the GSMNP soon.
CreationBear

Return to Your Tenkara Experience